Honda Pioneer Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I need a new lid since my AGV X-vent is over 5 years now and has a graze mark from my get off last season.
Also since I am back in Canada I am surounded by lack of inventory and inflated prices. I spent today driving all over the place to try on all the different brands. (No one shop has them all in stock).
Here is my list and concerns. Riding will be >90% track days.

Shoei TZ-R
Cheapest on the list. Unsure about the quality.

Shoei RF-1000
Funny that these did not fit me a couple of years ago.

Aria Astral-X
Nice fit. Pricey. Don't know much about the Aria line-up and searching the web has not helped much.

AGV XR-2
No one has one so I don't know if it will fit me.
If it is the same mold as the older X-vent I will like it.
I find them a bit cheaper than Aria but with the same quality.

Please don't offer any other models/brands as they are either way over my limit (x-11) or do not fit my head.
Thanks

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
ConqSoft said:
Where does the TZ-R fall in relation to the Z-II? Princess has a Z-II and it's great.
TZ-R has less ventilation and no removable liner. I've worn both and think they are about the same comfortable-wise (pretty comfy). The ZII has a tendency to get bugs crammed inside the chin vent openings (which don't close) where they can't be cleaned out easily.

Between these two I would probably go with the TZ-R (Traveler:D ) just because you could buy almost two TZ-R's for the same price as a ZII

I have an RF1000 and I love it. I have crashed once in it but it never touched the ground so no crash data! (I was on my back watching my bike slide down the street looking like a sidewalk street luger)

Someday I plan on moving up to the cushy-leather-massaging-recliner of helmets (Arai) but my Shoei works great for now. If you buy an Arai you will get your money's worth.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The list you gave will all be quality helmets on the protection front. The difference will be features and fit.

I love my Arai and will likely get another despite the cost :eek: It is comfortable, well vented (a must for those long August rides down here) and takes the wind nice (I got an RX-7) That said Shoei's are awesome but when I try a RF1000 on the fit is just wrong for me (want to try an X11 though). Never tried a AGV on, have not seen a local dealer that has them.

Of course I plan on checking all the helmet manufacturers out at the Indy show in 2 weeks :eyebrows:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
xraycatj said:
Someday I plan on moving up to the cushy-leather-massaging-recliner of helmets (Arai) but my Shoei works great for now. If you buy an Arai you will get your money's worth.
:idunno: Ummm.... My Arai RX7-RR4 Corsair has the least padding of any helmet I've owned (about 10). It's louder than hell, REQUIRES earplugs, but is very light and has excellent ventilation. Waaaay more airflow than any helmet I've tried, but the liner is far from cushy. My previous Quantum was awesome so that's why I bought it. My RX7-RR4 is not a good street helmet at all, but I think it would be nicely suited for the track.

Kuss929: One of my favorite helmets was my AGV. Loved it and would buy another one in a heartbeat. Since you know you like the fit and you like the helmet, I'd stick with it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
MetallicCarrot said:
:idunno: Ummm.... My Arai RX7-RR4 Corsair has the least padding of any helmet I've owned (about 10). It's louder than hell, REQUIRES earplugs, but is very light and has excellent ventilation. Waaaay more airflow than any helmet I've tried, but the liner is far from cushy. My previous Quantum was awesome so that's why I bought it. My RX7-RR4 is not a good street helmet at all, but I think it would be nicely suited for the track.

Kuss929: One of my favorite helmets was my AGV. Loved it and would buy another one in a heartbeat. Since you know you like the fit and you like the helmet, I'd stick with it.
Sorry, I was referring to the all-over fit and feel of the helmet and liner material of the Gibernau replica I tried on at the stealership. Maybe it's just the perfect shape for my head. You are more qualified than I in the actual owning/testing opinions of the helmet because I couldn't run fast enough through the store to get a feel for the vents:D (sorry about the 'vent cliche')

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
xraycatj said:
Sorry, I was referring to the all-over fit and feel of the helmet and liner material of the Gibernau replica I tried on at the stealership. Maybe it's just the perfect shape for my head. You are more qualified than I in the actual owning/testing opinions of the helmet because I couldn't run fast enough through the store to get a feel for the vents:D (sorry about the 'vent cliche')
On the RX7 while it is noisy and extreme venting, you can close them :confused: I would think in Colorado you don't need that much in the way of venting though. Especially when you get up in the hills.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
sheepofblue said:
On the RX7 while it is noisy and extreme venting, you can close them :confused: I would think in Colorado you don't need that much in the way of venting though. Especially when you get up in the hills.
Yeah it gets up to 105 mid-summer so vents are very important to me!:O

(Were you replying to my post or MetallicCarrot's post?):idunno:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
xraycatj said:
Yeah it gets up to 105 mid-summer so vents are very important to me!:O

(Were you replying to my post or MetallicCarrot's post?):idunno:
yours :) I would think the 105 is occasional while the cool is common

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The Z-11 is no longer in Shoei's line-up.
The TZ-R is the replacement from what I can tell.

I would love to get another AGV however I contacted AGV and the XR-2 is completely redesigned from the X-vent so sizing will not be similar.
There is no dealer within 3 hours of me that carries AGV so unfortunately I have to go another route.

I am leaning towards the RF-1000. Decent price and quaility.

Arai's are similar to AGV. Not many dealers carry them due to the price. The ones that they do have in stock have a 2004 manufacure date.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
2006 line X-eleven, RF1000, TZ-R direct from the Shoei site. I think that is also the order of prices and features.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Your profile says you live in Ann Arbor MI. If your at least around here why not come over to Recreational Leasiure (sp) in Detroit, they have an awsome collection of goods.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oops gotta change that profile.

I am back around Toronto now.

Thanks for the info though. I have some friends in the area still that are always looking for a place to shop.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
xraycatj said:
Oh, np. You also have to remember, I have a huge forehead. heh. It's just if that helmet is tight anywhere it will create a "hot spot" of chafing. Which you either become used to or it breaks in, who knows.

The thing that blows me away about the helmet is it is ridiculously loud, I mean REALLY freaking loud! Maybe other riders don't notice it as much because they wear earplugs (if they're smart). I, on the other hand, have like 25% hearing loss in my right ear... yay!:thumbd:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've had an HJC AC-11 lid and now i'm sporting a new Shoei RF1000 and I have to say, sometimes I wish I had my HJC back. The RF1000 is light, confortable, has very nice ventilation and is well finished, but loud. The HJC was light, confy, had not-so-nice venting and the finishing was so-so but was WAY quieter. The shield system on the Shoei kicks major azz though.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sorry but I am about to jack the thread...what do you guys think about the article in Cycle World...or Motorcyclist (I forget which) on the comparison between Snell and DOT rated helmets. The article is called blowing the lid off. It actually states that most DOT helmets are better at protecting your head than most Snell helmets and has interesting tests and facts to back it up.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The way I saw it, it's not like DOT helmets are better, but the DOT methodology of testing is superior in real-world scenarios.

Since I'm outside the USA, both standards do not directly affect my reality but I really think that some of the SNELL tests are quite... peculiar.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
qoelet said:
The way I saw it, it's not like DOT helmets are better, but the DOT methodology of testing is superior in real-world scenarios.

Since I'm outside the USA, both standards do not directly affect my reality but I really think that some of the SNELL tests are quite... peculiar.

It actually said the DOT would transfer less G's to your head in an accident which would mean less damage to your brain. Given the facts that they state, the Snell tests do seem a bit odd.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
qoelet said:
I've had an HJC AC-11 lid and now i'm sporting a new Shoei RF1000 and I have to say, sometimes I wish I had my HJC back. The RF1000 is light, confortable, has very nice ventilation and is well finished, but loud. The HJC was light, confy, had not-so-nice venting and the finishing was so-so but was WAY quieter. The shield system on the Shoei kicks major azz though.
More ventilation = more noise
Less ventilation = less noise
Close your vents and it will be nice and quiet.

Anyway, I have been quite happy with my RF-1000 and I am also a convert from HJC. I would much rather have the comfort and not have all the sweat poring down; then give up the comfort and ventilation, when it is so easy to wear ear plugs. :idunno:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts