Honda Pioneer Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All!

Any suggestions for luggage for a five day trip. I've been looking like crazy. I want something with reasonable room, that will be stable on the bike and won't scratch my beauty!!!!!

I've looked at the Cortech tribag system and it looks reasonable. Does anyone have these?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the tri-bag system and it's great if you are tall like me. The wife and I took a week long ride up the coast with the top of the bag just under my chin the entire trip. The next year I made the same trek but bought a Ventura bike pack system instead.

Once installed, the system mounts on rails and away from the bike's plastics. The wife an I road the entire week with no problems. You won't even know it's back there. :)

I still use the tri bage system for day-to-day, but on the long trips I'll hook up the Ventura system everytime. :)

View attachment 28355
The grab rail is great when you're traveling and you plan on spending some time riding around without the full pack. This came in handy for the races at Laguna Seca last year as we hit it in the middle of our trip. After checking into the hotel, I removed the big bag and rode around the rest of the weekend, sporting the much smaller grab rail.

View attachment 28356
This is a smaller version of the main rack and actually I have yet to use it. I've only been on trips which require the large bag and have yet to utilize the smaller rack.

View attachment 28357
Here you can see the main luggage rack with the big tall rail that helps support the bag. The bag slips over the top rail and clips around the bottom rail so it's nice and secure when riding. Easy on, easy off.

View attachment 28358
This is how the system looks when configured for two up riding. If you're riding solo, the pack can be swung around and rested on the rear seat. I was a little curious how the bike would perform with the bag hanging out there, but the bike rode perfectly and seemed as though the bag wasn't even there. Sometimes I even forgot it was there and although it's only rated to 70mph, I can attest to speeds much greater than that.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not sure I want a rail on my bike. I was more looking at the saddlebags and the tailbag. Ihave a CBR 1000 with the undertail exhaust. Does this cause a problem?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
im looking as well for some luggage....i like to go on week long trips as well, and i too have a 2006 1000RR with undertail exhaust.

so far the best thing i have found is, from Bagster.com they have a full tank cover, with clips built into the cover. then you buy their decent sized tank bag, that clips onto that tank cover.

then i would (and have in the past with other bikes) get a water proof backpack, then use a small bungee net, and bungee net it down to the passenger seat. or have the wife wear the back pack!!

just some ideas

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
oh and that tank cover, is color matched perfectly with the red/black color scheme, not sure about other colors

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Do you think I could do the saddlebag combined with the tailbag from Cortech eventhough I have an undertail exhaust system?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't leave the rail on all the time, I take it off after the trip. I only have the system installed for big trips. :) It takes about 20-30 minutes to change out.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have and use Oxford motorcycle luggage out of Great Britian. They are extremely well built and come with a lifetime guarantee. I have a small sport tank bag and tail bag which I purchased about 4 years ago. They have been from Windsor, ON to Quebec with a few trips to the Sportbike Rally in Parry Sound as well. No issues and they still look like new. They come with clear waterproof covers, they use heavy duty zippers and heavy duty fabric. I recently purchased the larger tank bag to use on a great lakes tour this year on my CBR954RR. I purchased the Oxford luggage at Recreation Leisure in Farmington, MI just outside Detroit, MI.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Anyone have the Ogio No Drag pack? If so how is it? Do you cary a Laptop in it? If so, how big? How stable is the pack at speed?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have the Ogio and I carry a laptop. I hate backpacks but this one is functional. It has a lot less bufetting at speed than the other backpcks I have tried. You know it is there but with the shoulder straps, chest strap, and waist strap it is not going anywhere.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
View attachment 29878 After having spent many years testing luggage for sports bikes, I now use Bagster Tank Covers/Tank Bags and Bagster Whoppa Tail Packs. These may not suit everyone, but with them on our 954 (with a bungee net to allow me to attach my paddock jacket onto the top of the tail pack when not wearing it), I can manage a week away from home. The tank covers properly protect the tank and there are some excellent vinyl tank bags in the range to attach to them. The tail pack completely avoids the need for heavy duty bungies - which always seem to get covered in filthy chain lube - or unsightly brackets, and its neat zipper mountings fold under the pillion seat when not in use. More info on our web site at: Welcome to HPS - Performance Parts for your Motorcycle

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
View attachment 29878 After having spent many years testing luggage for sports bikes, I now use Bagster Tank Covers/Tank Bags and Bagster Whoppa Tail Packs. These may not suit everyone, but with them on our 954 (with a bungee net to allow me to attach my paddock jacket onto the top of the tail pack when not wearing it), I can manage a week away from home. The tank covers properly protect the tank and there are some excellent vinyl tank bags in the range to attach to them. The tail pack completely avoids the need for heavy duty bungies - which always seem to get covered in filthy chain lube - or unsightly brackets, and its neat zipper mountings fold under the pillion seat when not in use. More info on our web site at: Welcome to HPS - Performance Parts for your Motorcycle
Have you tried the Oxford Tailbag?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sly, you can't go wrong with the Cortech/Tourmaster stuff. Used it on both my 929 then 1krr w/o any issues. And the only time I don't have a Cortech/Tourmaster tankbag on my ride is at the track. I only use the style that straps on, no magnets since most of my tanks have been c/f, or plastic like the 1krr. The neoprene pad on the bottom has never caused any scratching issues either.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
just met a guy at Honda store (random dude not an employee) and he's just pointed me to the perfect tail luggage set :clap:. 30 or 40 litres should be plenty for 5 days I would hope. Kriega

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just looked at the Kriega, seems a little steep on price for what you get. How's the quality though? Personally, I'd prefer to have that 40 litres as one pack, maybe with some dividers. More usable space that way. IMHO.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.