Honda Pioneer Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've switched from a ST1300 to a 919 recently. And since the trade I've discovered I don't like riding with a backpack -- raises your center of gravity, tough to get on and off with gear, and probably not safe in getoff.

I'd rather not add bags to the new bike. So I'm about to try the courier/messenger bag thing. Seems like the Timbuk2 bags are really popular. They are also pricey. Anyone have input on these bags, or Timbuk2, or Marsee courier bags they could share? Thanks!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
I just got a set of Nelson Rigss Saddle bags with an attachable tail bag. I haven't ridden with them yet, but they do offer tons of room and look fairly sturdy. They come on and off the bike easily and seem to clear the pipe.

I hate backpacks because two of my jackets have armor on the back, making the backpack hard to wear.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I've kind of pinned myself here -- I don't like riding with a backpack and I'd rather not add bags to the bike. So I'm leaning toward a messenger bag from either Timbuk2, Chrome, or Marsee to commute to carry my laptop, gym clothes, folders, and lunch. Anyone have one of these bags or opinions on messenger/courier bags?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tank bags are great, but I prefer the smaller ones that aren't towering so high that you can't see the gauges, or so wide that they interfere with turning. I figured for something the size of a laptop that a carry-on bag made more sense. I guess I'll have to find out.

· Registered
54 Posts
I'd have to agree with Conq.... a convertible tank bag or tail bag sounds like the way to go...

I've only used a messenger bag once and its annoying because it slides forward around me or weighs one side of me. And its no safer in a get off than a back pack. The only thing I want clinging on to my back while I ride is a hot chick.

-jh

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have a Chrome bag and ride with it every day to work. Probably wouldn't have tried it but a friend's uncle makes 'em. Great bags, durable cordura with a waterproof removable liner, come in a few different sizes. They don't move around on your back, are tough as hell and quite comfortable. The majority of bike couriers I know use Chrome bags for these reasons.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Seems like Chrome, Timbuk2, and PAC bags are the most popular and get the best reviews. And all of these come with a waist strap that keeps the bag behind you, low on the back. I just can't bring myself to strap on a tank bag thats big enough to accommodate a laptop. The Cortech Sport tail bag is an option though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.