Honda Pioneer Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
I purchased a KBC modular helmet about 4 months ago. I have been riding with it since. In case you dont know it is the type that in addition to the visor moving up and down you can also flip the whole front up. While I thought it was really cool and it is a pretty nice helmet; I don't know if I would recommend one. First off... I never have actually used the feature and for sure this feature of the flippable front would probably compromise the helmet in a crash. Second... it is louder than a "normal helmet" expecially at highway speed, I think air doesnt flow as smooth around the front... its weird because you cant really tell from looking at the helmet that the front swivels up. Third... when you are taking the helmet off you get a creaking and cracking sound after awile. Anyway for sportbike use I would not buy another one. I don't think you can or should wear one at a track day or anything.
With the whole front flipped you look like a corn also.:thumb:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't believe that any of the modular helmets are SNELL approved, only DOT. But DOT, in all of their wisdom, also allows all of the half-helmets (read Brain Buckets), which would protect the top of your head but would more than likely come off in the event of a crash.

I moved from Virginia back to SC a few months ago and it still amazes me to see people without helmets on. All summer long I wore my full face Arai and it got up to 106 degrees. I had no complaints. You might get a little sweaty but when you are past the point of saving it in a turn or the truck is two inches away from hitting you it is a little late to think about putting on a helmet. I don't think anyone who goes out riding intends on crashing. Dress for the crash, not for the ride.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've never used a modular helmet, but I've owned a KBC and that might be your noise problem right there. They are loud by default (I wear earplugs too) and generally kinda crappy. Track noise was so annoying I pretty quickly bought an X-11 and fell in love with it. After using the X-11 I'd never recomend a KBC to anyone, for any reason... Just my opinion

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.