Honda Pioneer Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son is getting his first bike, an XR80, for his birthday next month (bought a mint used '03 a few weeks back, hiding it in my rental storage). A couple of weeks ago, I got the brilliant idea that I'd teach him how to use a clutch...on my XR400.

So, on an evening when my wife was working late, off we go to the nearest vacant, flat area just outside of the 'hood. The first few rounds, with me riding pillion, I start him off and let him tool around in 1st gear, occasionally shifting to second, back down to first, and braking. Doing well, smooth throttle control, decent timing on shifting, etc. Now it's time for him to try starting from a dead stop. Now granted, the clutch lever travel is a bit long for a 10 year-old's hands, and with my 215 pounds of ass on the seat and his 115 lbs...well, I'm pretty understanding and patient when he stalls it through the first 6 tries. He's getting frustrated, but nowhere near giving up. I wish I could have seen the determination on his face when he tried the seventh time, because he obviously said "Screw this shit!" to himself as he rev'd the motor and dumped the clutch, and BAM!, put the bike on its tail-end and both of us on our asses! As soon as I was sure he was okay (the bike shot out away from us and fell over to the right), and he was sure that I wasn't pissed, we cracked our asses up for at least 10 minutes before gaining enough composure to start over. We were near a pretty busy boulevard, so no telling how many people saw the "action." :rotfl: After getting on the bike again, second try and we were rolling. When we got home, he said "Dad, that was the most fun I have ever had without getting hurt!" Datsa ma boy! ;)

My wife is now a bit concerned. :)
 
G

·
Awesome! It's fun when kids get it! Several years ago, I was showing one of my friend's son how to ride my old CB125. He was about 7 at the time and he did great! I had to ride pillion because his feet didn't touch the ground, so I was the outriggers!
 
G

·
That is exactly how I started riding, however us Canadians are a little slow eh so it happened on around the 20th time. And yes the exact words I said was "Screw this shit". It was a CR80 and when it fell it broke the rear number plate the only damage that the bike ever had done to it for 5 years (unbelievably)
 
G

·
Good stuff Pete. :thumb: I guarantee you he will remember that evening for the rest of his life. I still remember every one of my first experiences with each motorcycle I have encountered.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
139 Posts
I got my first bike, an XR80, on my 11th birthday. Though, if I ever have a kid, he/she will be on one a lot younger than that. :)
 
G

·
I learned the same way at 9 years old on a clapped-out xr80. My dad took me to a gravel pit and I popped the bike out from under myself first attempt. Of course I preferred riding his xr350 but I'd need to stand on a log to get on it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
HondaGalToo said:
Awesome! It's fun when kids get it! Several years ago, I was showing one of my friend's son how to ride my old CB125. He was about 7 at the time and he did great! I had to ride pillion because his feet didn't touch the ground, so I was the outriggers!
Yep, same here...outriggers. ;)


Kuss929 said:
And yes the exact words I said was "Screw this shit". It was a CR80 and when it fell it broke the rear number plate the only damage that the bike ever had done to it for 5 years (unbelievably)
I had to spend some time straightening the subframe, but it was well worth it! :thumb:


Intimidator said:
Good stuff Pete. :thumb: I guarantee you he will remember that evening for the rest of his life. I still remember every one of my first experiences with each motorcycle I have encountered.
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Newfie TLR said:
Petey, some people have no sense of humour!! :eyebrows:
Well, after my crash in August, I'll cut her a little slack this time.
 
G

·
Good story, Pete. Count your blessings.


Of course, for the rest of the world, this means there's a PETE II in development. :eek:
 
G

·
I remember teaching my boys to GENTLY let out the clutch, over and over again, on their XR100 and XR200, respectively, a number of years back. It took 'em awhile to figure out that you don't need to DUMP it out so fast! But once they finally got it, boy were they excited. Fun times! :thumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ConqSoft said:
I got my first bike, an XR80, on my 11th birthday. Though, if I ever have a kid, he/she will be on one a lot younger than that. :)
Well, my son had two chances (Christmas and birthday) every year since he was four, but never expressed much interest until this year.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
dB said:
Of course, for the rest of the world, this means there's a PETE II in development. :eek:
I think that is what my wife is most concerned about. :rotfl:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
139 Posts
I guess since you said you had it hidden he doesn't know he's getting it... Has he been asking for one? And, what have you been telling him?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
175 Posts
Pete said:
Well, my son had two chances (Christmas and birthday) every year since he was four, but never expressed much interest until this year.
:thumb:

Never force a sport on your kids.

Great story. :clap:

I have a similar one involving me and grandpa on an ATC 110. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ConqSoft said:
I guess since you said you had it hidden he doesn't know he's getting it... Has he been asking for one? And, what have you been telling him?
Correct, he doesn't know that he's getting one. Yes, he's been asking for one, and knows he wants an XR80 from having visited Honda of Houston several times. I have been telling him "We'll see."
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
luvtolean said:
Never force a sport on your kids.
Thankfully, he loves football and baseball, so I don't have to. :eyebrows:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Nothing like father and son bonding! :thumb: Now that he's got his first crash out of the way he should be good to go, but if he's only 10 years old and already weighs 110lbs, I think you're going to need a bigger bike! :D
 
G

·
Intimidator said:
I still remember every one of my first experiences with each motorcycle I have encountered.
I remember every crash too.
Pete said:
As soon as I was sure he was okay (the bike shot out away from us and fell over to the right), and he was sure that I wasn't pissed, we cracked our asses up for at least 10 minutes before gaining enough composure to start over.
That's the stuff the best memories are made of. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
 
1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Top