Honda Pioneer Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those that have used the various GPS units available today, what would you add to the wish list to make the "perfect" motorcycle specific unit?

Here's my wish list, in no particular order.....

Waterproof
Better connector or pigtail
Glove-friendly buttons
Switchable screen orientation (portrait or landscape)
More highly configurable map overlay

Gee Whiz Options:
Bluetooth for navigation prompts
Cellular link with Doppler overlay

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bake, I have a Garmin 2610 that'll we'll have at the Grattan event if you want to check it out.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I used to have a Garmin GPS III+ on my VFR and really liked the setup. If I were to add one today, I'd go with the newer GPS V. It's small, accurate, detailed, and waterproof. :twocents:

·
Registered
139 Posts
Since the SPIII just sold, I decided on the 2610. Ordered it today. (My dad has one, and I liked it.)

The c320 is apparently a more user-friendly GPS, with less advanced options, so that one came off my list.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a GPS V and it works for me. What I would really like in a GPS is a HUD display on my helmet visor. Glancing down to acquire info on the motorcycle scares the crap out of me.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Red Rider said:
I used to have a Garmin GPS III+ on my VFR and really liked the setup. If I were to add one today, I'd go with the newer GPS V. It's small, accurate, detailed, and waterproof. :twocents:
I have the V on my RC perfect for what I use it for.. I cant imagine anything bigger on a MC but I know some of you guys already have bigger units and love them.

If I was buying one for non MC usage, 2610 would be it :thumb:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I should have mentioned that I've got a 276C that I really like because it does all things pretty well. Still, I think Garmin could make a kick ass motorcycle unit if they wanted to... :p

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Baketech said:
Still, I think Garmin could make a kick ass motorcycle unit if they wanted to... :p
I think you are right... but I think far to many people are still very happy with Units like the V or even the 276 that they probably wont make one geared towards us anytime soon :crap:

And I think my problem with the bigger "GPS" units isnt their size but the lack of space on my bike now that I look at a pic of just how little space there is I need to get me a VFR so I can have one of them there big screen gps units :D

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have a V as well and am very happy with it. My only gripe with it(it's not necessarily the unit itself but the software more than likely) is that it doesn't always see bridges. In more than one instance it had tried to tell me to jump off a bridge to make it on to the next roadway along the trip.

·
Registered
2 Posts
ND4SPD said:
I have a V as well and am very happy with it. My only gripe with it(it's not necessarily the unit itself but the software more than likely) is that it doesn't always see bridges. In more than one instance it had tried to tell me to jump off a bridge to make it on to the next roadway along the trip.
I've been feeding the GPS satellites with info to tell you that. :D

I found software here that is geared specifically towards motorcyclists where it picks roads based on some criteria other than quickest or shortest route. It has shown me roads in my area that would have taken me months to find on my own. Unfortunately, the company only has roads in Germany. (Adding to my wishlist since I'm coming back stateside on the first of June)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
TGZ13 said:
And I think my problem with the bigger "GPS" units isnt their size but the lack of space on my bike now that I look at a pic of just how little space there is I need to get me a VFR so I can have one of them there big screen gps units :D
:nod: I would agree with that.

I've tried several versions of a tankbag mount, but none of them seem to work as well as the dash/bar mount. But, it's a work in progress...so sooner or later I may work it out... :idunno:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Rear view camera integration - so you could use it as a rear view "mirror" when you're not using the GPS functionality.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Location of Speed Cameras (available in the UK but not with conventional GPS mapping / direction).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think it would be awesome if tourers went to one large MFD right in the center of the dash.... :wacking:

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have never seen any unbiased article stating that motorcycle specific GPS systems were any better than auto specific systems. Until then, I will continue to use the cheapest-ass auto based system I see fit. Why waste your money on anything else?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts