Honda Pioneer Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In prep for a Grattan/next year I am plotting gear:

First:
Does anybody have Alpinestars GPS3 Boots? They look to be a road boot that is good for light track duty. Also they are supposed to be wide (for us fat foots). Also how are they on size accuracy?

Second:
Most 1 piece suits I see are cut for rail thin folks. Does anyone have brand recommendations for a short legged and heavy person? Prefer resonable price. If not what downsides beside loss of strength is there to a 2 piece setup?

Third:
Any opinions on the Alpinestars back protectors. Or a Joe Rocket?

FYI my only current leather is a Joe Rocket Blaster 2 that accepts either a 8" or 360 zipper

I thank you and my pelt might also thank you :cool:

EDIT: Also anyone that is in the south, places that stock the gear so I can try the fit.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
We have several vendors here that may be glad to help with your gear Q's... But... If you're having trouble with off-the-rack, may I suggest Vanson, they do custom. (If you go custom... make that decision relatively quickly if you are going to Grattan... (word-to-the-wise ;) ) )

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have an A* back protector and like it quite a bit. Covers from the neck all the way to a little past the tail bone. Haven't crash tested it, nor do I plan to, but it seems like it would hold up quite well.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My son has the Alpinestars GPS3 boots. They are pretty nice for the money and you're are correct, they are good for street use and track days. They are reasonably comfortable for walking around during sport touring trips. I use the Bohn back protector. It's about the thinnest yet functional ones out there. Alpinestars does a two piece suit that I believe you can mix and match pants. Otherwise, like me, you need to spring for a custom suit. I really like Bates and their service and Z gets good marks too.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
RC51Mike said:
My son has the Alpinestars GPS3 boots. They are pretty nice for the money and you're are correct, they are good for street use and track days. They are reasonably comfortable for walking around during sport touring trips. I use the Bohn back protector. It's about the thinnest yet functional ones out there. Alpinestars does a two piece suit that I believe you can mix and match pants. Otherwise, like me, you need to spring for a custom suit. I really like Bates and their service and Z gets good marks too.
Thanks. Any idea on $$$ for a Bates? I remember them from way back :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I own a coulple pair of Alpinestars. In shoes I wear 9 1/2 or 9 1/2 wide, in the Alpines I always wear a 10 with no problem.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
EDDIE110171 said:
I own a coulple pair of Alpinestars. In shoes I wear 9 1/2 or 9 1/2 wide, in the Alpines I always wear a 10 with no problem.
Many thanks I happen to have a 9 1/2 on at this moment and need wide normally. What model are yours?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sheep, you need to get yourself over to www.racingleather.com and have Barnacle Bill make you a nice neon blue suit. He's just over in Kentucky -

He made mine w/ sliders, GP armor, and shipping for under a Grand. It's very well made.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts