Honda Pioneer Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since we are having heated talks about saftey gear... Has anyone used these new neck brace things? Although there was a time I rode in full leathers I am not always prone to over gearing myself from head to toe in armor but these things look like they are a damn good idea and not that bulky. They are pretty expensive though. Has anyone used one? Any thoughts one them? I have enough neck and back issues as it is so anything that would give a bit more support would be nice anyway.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
If you're referring to the LEAT neck braces, they don't really support your neck or head at all. They're designed to keep your neck from bending too far in any one direction so that you can't break it like that. The idea is that in a crash, if your head bends far in any one direction, the added momentum of a helmet can cause your neck to bend at a sharper angle than you normally can even if you try. This can be enough to cause paralysis or even death in some cases. The LEAT neck brace is supposed to prevent this sort of injury. Personally, I think 3 or 4 hundred bucks isn't too high of a price to pay in order to be able to stay walking and breathing. It's pretty much the same concept as a back protector, but just for your head and neck, areas that a standard back protector doesn't protect at all. The only thing I don't like about it is the way it feels around my neck. I'm used to moving around a lot when I ride, and it kinda bugs me even without getting on a bike. If you're interested in getting one, I'd say try them out at a bike shop in your area that carries them. They come in two flavors, a standard, and a carbon-fiber version. The carbon is about 100 dollars more than the standard one, if I remember correctly.

Also, BMW is also marketing the same thing, but with the BMW logo and about double the price, from what I've seen.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool thank you. Now that you mention it I guess $400 is not really that bad considering you can spend that on helmets or jackets/leathers etc. I'm wondering if it interfears with your ability to swivel your head around to look behind your etc?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
To me it felt like it might interfere. Probably best if you decide for yourself on that one though...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
there are other ones out there for cheaper that do the same thing, all my motocross buddies wear them. as soon as i can remember what brand they are ill fill you in. but from what they say after wearing them most of them would never ride with out them now. but i believe they just really started getting big in the last year or two

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.