Honda Pioneer Forums banner

Need a *hard shell* backpack

7K views 23 replies 3 participants last post by  Scout 
G
#1 ·
Is this the only company who makes one?

http://www.axio-usa.com/html/p2.html

Anyone own any of this stuff?

We've had discussions on riding with backpacks before, but it never occurred to me that a hard shell pack might be the best option for high speed LDR. I'd guess the pack wouldn't be "grabbed" by the wind like a regular nylon one would be.

How water proof would something like this be, I wonder.

Input welcome!

G
#4 ·
I didn't even know they were made!!!

In the summer, if I have to take the laptop home it's always a PITA. That would be the perfect thing for me.

Zoltan, no, on a long run it probably wouldn't be confortable.
RedRider, I would hate to think what that would do to your back at highway speeds.

But, that being said...............

I live 4.8 Km's from work, through town, and probably never reach 60 Km's / hr, so:

1. Comfort wouldn't be an issue.
  2. If I crash in that distance, I shouldn't be on a bike anyway.

Chain, what are your plans for it??

G
#5 ·
I'm not a fan of backpacks on the bike. Depending on what you put in it, it could be detrimental in a fall. I wouldn't want to land on my back on books, jars, computers, etc. To carry stuff, I prefer the luggage be strapped onto the bike, in the form of a tailpack or such. My :twocents: I rode with one once, with just clothes in it, and I hated it. I felt like I couldn't move around on the bike.

#6 ·
Newfie TLR said:

In the summer, if I have to take the laptop home it's always a PITA. That would be the perfect thing for me.

RedRider, I would hate to think what that would do to your back at highway speeds.

I live 4.8 Km's from work, through town, and probably never reach 60 Km's / hr, so:

Maybe better choices for a laptop backpack:
http://www.targus.com/us/cases_notebook_backpacks.asp

G
#7 ·
I had a Speed-Pac for a couple of months. It doubles either as a back pack or tank bag. Used it mostly for a tank bag, until I went down and broke the damned thing. I've actually tried out the Axio and that seems to be a pretty solid hard bag.

#8 ·
Newfie TLR said:

Maybe you need this

http://www.ogio.com/products/display.cfm?catid=5&UID=411109&color=1

Love mine...

G
#9 ·
I was looking at the "fuse" model of that axio pack at the beginning of the week and am thinking of buying it for those short weekend trips. Enough room for a couple days worth of clothes and it seemed pretty comfortable during the short time I had it on.

I sat on a f4i that happened to be in the shop at the time to see how it felt while leaned over and it felt fine. I am not sure at all how that might affect you if you had a wreck at highway speeds though. I think I am going to end up buying it..

G
#10 ·
I have the Targus CityGear, since I need to carry my laptop for work back and forth. It's awesome, has lots of room for all my stuff! Haven't used it on the bike and most likely won't, although if I had to, I'll bet I could find a way to attach it to my Ventura rack.

G
#13 ·
Well, as far as tank bags go, I really want a Bagster for my bike, but they don't have a color match for the '04 red yet. It's a huge, highly secure bag system, just like the one Conq has on his Viffer and what he ran on the XX.

G
#14 ·
Chain said:
Well, as far as tank bags go, I really want a Bagster for my bike, but they don't have a color match for the '04 red yet. It's a huge, highly secure bag system, just like the one Conq has on his Viffer and what he ran on the XX.
OK, I know that this question will have people rolling on the floor, but I got to ask:

How long you planning on keeping the 'Busa??

A friend has one on his Triumph, and after 3 years the tank cover looks like shit. When he got it, he asked the manufacturer by e-mail how to best protect the leather from fading and drying out in the sun, and they said no need, it has a "special" permanent coating on it. Well, he believed them. It actually looks like it's scaling too!!

Just a heads up.

Conq, what do you do with yours??

#16 ·
I had the Bagster on my XX for over two years, and still looked brand new when I sold it. I cleaned it with Honda Spray Polish/Cleaner occasionally. But, I never left the bike parked out in the sun and never rode (other than by accident a couple of times) rode in the rain either.

G
#18 ·
Newfie TLR said:
How long you planning on keeping the 'Busa??
Until it's paid for three years from now. (Feel free to throw the :bs: flag now, but I can't afford not to keep it.) In three years I'll likely trade it off for either the presumed Interceptor/XX/whateva replacement from Honda -or- for an FJR.

Meanwhile, I think it's about time to mod... :eek: :evilaugh: :rotfl:

G
#22 ·
HondaGalToo said:
Personally, I love doing mods. It makes the bike mine, sets it apart from everyone else's, hopefully.
It drains you of hard earned cash too, but WTF? This is my only real hobby (aside from growing more gray hair in front of the computer whilst posting on our beloved Org) and my birthday is about two weeks away. I got a couple family members wanting to go in together on a present and they've told me to point my browser in the direction of my favorite e-vendor for moto goodies.

:bday:

G
#23 ·
Chain said:
It drains you of hard earned cash too, but WTF? This is my only real hobby (aside from growing more gray hair in front of the computer whilst posting on our beloved Org) and my birthday is about two weeks away. I got a couple family members wanting to go in together on a present and they've told me to point my browser in the direction of my favorite e-vendor for moto goodies.

:bday:

Tell 'em to point toward getting you a three-track- day @ Grattan .orgy..

And happy Birthday.

G
#24 · (Edited)
Newfie TLR said:
I have a Joe Rocket tank Bag that may serve your purpose better. It has magnetic mounts that DO NOT slip, and is kind of a pillow for your chest if you want some weight off your wrists / hands.
+1

The Joe Rocket "Sport" Tank Bag is great, the best one I've owned. I regularly use the bottom portion for work items, as it's large enough to fit anything I carry - your laptop should fit comfortably, but try before you buy. It's also water-resistant, so if you get caught in a shower, your items will stay dry until you get home. When you do the sport tour overniter thing, pop-on the top portion, and you can load for the trip! A reasonable $99 from your local dealer.

As a side note, I wax the crap out of my tank, so to be fair, I don't know how they react to paint, but I haven't got any wear marks from it, and it will definately not blow off, even without using the headstock strap (I caught a sidewind which had me leaning at a 45 degree angle, but still going straight @ 65mph through a valley in the Mojave, and the thing stuck like glue). :thumb:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.