Honda Pioneer Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to get a some riding pants and riding boots for the first time. I have a Joe Rocket jacket which is ok so far and I would like the pants to be able to zip into them. I want something that is good quality but wont necessarily make me give up my first born. Also I would like a pair of good boots that are comfortable to walk in as well. I want to stay in the $250 dollar range on boots. I also need some new gloves. Any and all ideas are welcome. Pics and personal test results are welcome. I want to have them by March so I can be ready for the suzuki school at Road Atlanta.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
I have the Alpinestar SuperTech boots for track, and a pair of Gortex SMX plus for the street. Both are pretty comfortable to walk around in. The Supertechs have a lot more protection.
I'm a big fan of the Held gloves. I have the Galaxy, but the new Phantom is excellent, and the Akira or Profi race are great, too. Sometimes newenough has good prices on Helds. Also check out Sportbiketracktime gear.
Alpinestars gloves are also good, as are Dainese. I think kneedraggers carries both. I have no experience with either of those gloves, though.
Sorry, no opinions on the pants to jacket, as I'm not familiar with Joe Rocket stuff. If at all possible, however, I'd recommend a full circumference zipper as opposed to the 8 inch or so one that just goes across the back of the jacket.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What are the contrasts between the Supertech and the Gortex. I plan on using the boots for both street and track so I want something that I can stand around in and also be fully protected as well.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Alpinestars have a hinged hard plastic inner boot. The hinge is at the ankle to allow for movement. Then there's an outer boot over the inner boot, which also has hard protection. The inner boot has quick pull laces to snug it up, then the outer boot has a rear zipper. I believe this configuration is a bit different on the newer ones, as mine are a few years old. Excellent ankle/foot protection. They are a bit stiffer to walk in.
The SMX plus (I have the gortex version as I wanted them to be waterproof for street riding/touring) are a single layer, typical boot. They do have some hard ankle protection. The zipper is on the inside, and only zips up to about the ankle area. The upper part of the boot around the calf is secured with velcro. Decent protection, but not at all at the level of the Supertech.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Even though they are stiffer, can you see yourself doing a day of riding stopping walking talking and then back to riding with the Alpinestars? Comfortably?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have SIDI vertabraes (I think that's what they are called).
I have not had them to the track, but lots of street riding, and lots of walking. In the comfort aspect they are great, haven't tested the crash protection yet, and :nono: want to!
I really like my Dainese Talos jacket, I may get some good track pants, and have a good full comference zipper installed in the jacket. The jacket is very high quality, pretty pricey new.
I found this one on ebay for about $250 shipped I think, it was like new.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think I could walk around in them for a day. I walk around in them in the pits at the track. I wouldn't want to go hiking or anything, but if you were just walking a bit to go to lunch or whatever, I think the Supertechs would be ok. Just an FYI, the plastic on the outside of the outer boot sticks out, so you'd be unable to wear any type of pants over the top of the boot.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes I think I would want to be able to wear pants over them. I dont think I will be wearing the leather pants all the time.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sidi makes awesome boots, you could look at the B-2 or the Strada. They are both in your price range, will do what you want for protection and comfort and you can wear pants over them no problem in the case of jeans or something.

Gloves, there are a lot of tests done out there, search in this forum and you will find them. I think I would go A* GP Tech or Pro over Held. The older Held's were great, made in Germany, the newer ones made in Pakistan are not nearly as good and floundered large in recent tests.

I have zero crash testing experience.

Make sure you consider the conditions you plan to ride in, because not all gloves or boot are insulating, waterproof, have good ventilation etc even if they fit the bill otherwise.

What I mean is, your not going to find one boot/glove that will be good when it's really hot, and when it's cold and raining. Some items are made for one or the other.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks....Im not good when its cold or raining so I dont have to worry about riding in those conditions...now that I have said that my first ride of the year will start sunny and warm and end with cold bitter windblown rain when I am 50 miles away from home...my luck.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks....Im not good when its cold or raining so I dont have to worry about riding in those conditions...now that I have said that my first ride of the year will start sunny and warm and end with cold bitter windblown rain when I am 50 miles away from home...my luck.
Ah yes, Springtime riding in the Northeast!:D

Good luck with your gear search! Going to the motorcycle show at Javits (Jan 19-21)? There'll be lotsa goodies to puruse there! Try stuff on if you can!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
For your area put out the cash here Gerbing's Heated Clothing Welcomes You with Warmth and Comfort! I know people that have the pants and other that have the sock, gloves and vests. People are always warm and in some instances too warm.

I have a first gear jacket with liner, gortex winter street gloves, some first gear winter pants that zip over and have a removable liner and you can upgrade to the harder armor. For boots I have Sidi street boots, thermal. Everything I have now gets me to work just fine. In the AM I just start to feel the cold. That is a 26 mile commute and speeds at 70 mph. And before you people start that is the legal speed limit, MOST OF THE WAY.

Get the first gear here

New Enough Motorcycle Leathers sells leather and textile riding apparel, boots, gloves, luggage, helmets, etc

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ah yes, Springtime riding in the Northeast!:D

Good luck with your gear search! Going to the motorcycle show at Javits (Jan 19-21)? There'll be lotsa goodies to puruse there! Try stuff on if you can!
Are you sure those are the dates? I hope not because I will be in Atlanta for the PRO Convention. They should make the motorcycle show at least 1 week long.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
For your area put out the cash here Gerbing's Heated Clothing Welcomes You with Warmth and Comfort! I know people that have the pants and other that have the sock, gloves and vests. People are always warm and in some instances too warm.

I have a first gear jacket with liner, gortex winter street gloves, some first gear winter pants that zip over and have a removable liner and you can upgrade to the harder armor. For boots I have Sidi street boots, thermal. Everything I have now gets me to work just fine. In the AM I just start to feel the cold. That is a 26 mile commute and speeds at 70 mph. And before you people start that is the legal speed limit, MOST OF THE WAY.

Get the first gear here

New Enough Motorcycle Leathers sells leather and textile riding apparel, boots, gloves, luggage, helmets, etc
Advice on winter gear from a guy that lives in Ca...lol. Just joking. I dont really do the cold riding thing too much...but when I do ride in temps of say about 50 or so I try to wear some kind of thermal underwear and something to cover my neck.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yup, those are the dates. Bummer you'll miss it! I don't need anything this year. Well, a new dark shield maybe. But I love going and looking at everything.

· Registered
331 Posts

Get the first gear here

Why on earth would you need all this when you live in the perfect utopia where weather is always better than everywhere else, and you can do nothing more than anyone else in every other state?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.