Honda Pioneer Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, Now that Honda has finally joined the side-x-side crowd, what shoudl they have made differently?

Now with this said, not looking for the it should have been a Rhino or Rhino sized etc.

The Big Red is what it is but what couold they have made different o n the existing machine?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'll go first.

Electronic Trak-Loc. Sorry the manual, must stop to engage 4-wheel drive is STUPID!

Not excusable on a $11-12,000 machine.

So, what else?

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
I would like to see the:

- bike narrowed 4 inches
- an override for reverse
- a dash mounted 12V power outlet
- hard cab option

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A Reverse override isn't difficult to do. The only thing with it, is that when you turn it on your "D" will come on instead of the "R" light. Just make sure you remember this.

When I had this type override on my Rincon, I took it to the dealership and they called me all freaked out that it was in "Drive" when they had put it in "Reverse". I had to explain it to them. Funny as crap!

"Oh my god, you have major issues with your machine! Your computer is all F'ed up, what do you want us to do? Order a comp, tear into the tranmission? What? Oh my god!"

·
Registered
277 Posts
1) I would like to see a remote oil filter kit. Stuffing that 675 in there was a good idea. Using an existing motor works. Taking the seat out to change the oil shows lack of thought. To counter that if you raise the bike off the ground you can stick your hand up thru an existing hole and you can also do it that way (if you can work blind).
2) More storage! To make the glove box door an option is pretty lame.
3) Relocation of the air intake. Couple of other UTV's have the air intake in the roll bar. Great design!
4) Power steering! Why in the world would you put 4 wheel drive on this ride (with this weight) and not at least make it an option.

I also like some of the other things ya'all have listed also. However I am very happy with BR so don't take these as true negatives. However Power steering would be a the top of my list.

·
Registered
20 Posts
#1...suspension please for gods sake.
#2...Hard cab like Rangerware
#3...Make it quieter
#4...Give us some sort of cover for underneath driver side(keep the mud off)

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
Forgot power steering that would be to of my list as well. The hard cab will come with time I just want the time to be now.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Power steering is out there just not for BR... yet (I hope)

Look UTV Power Steering : ATV Power Steering, Performance All Terrain Vehicle Steering Components

I ride differnet terrain then most of you (actually, I miss the mud and snow riding, fun:clap:). Sand has hidden treasures just under the surface that can jerk the wheel out of your had. The P/S ATV's overcame this with P/S. I can only assume that P/S was not commonly used when BR was being designed.

·
Registered
14 Posts
How about making the underside, especially the dump bed, a little more "wash friendly"? All of the plastic "webbing" adds strength, but certainly is a pain to keep clean...takes extra time to pressure wash all the crap off...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Oh, and one more, on a machine of this class and price, shouldn't the digital dash be STANDARD?? C'mon, Honda!! You would expect idiot lights only on some machine you buy at Pep Boys...

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, I think that the Big Red should have had the following:

Electronic 4x4 system - as stated already.

5-way adjustable shocks - simple spring adjust would be fine.

Digital display standard - sorry Honda but this is a just stupid oversite.

Larger bed capacity - really 500lbs out of a machine this big? Come on.

Styling - Ok, but very bland, did they fire thier styling department?

ESP System - OK, what the hell were you thinking with removing the ESP option from this engine and transmission combo. Just plain stupid, very stupid.

Nice to haves:

Electric steering - ok, it would be nice but is the additional cost worth it?

Adjustable seats - I guess I should have said easier adjustable seats, come on a Civic is easier.

Different transmission - I love the Rincon but a 3 speed, even if it is geared lower, is still no match compaired to a nice Hi/Low range setup! Think bigger Rubicon motor and transmission.

Hand parking brake - really? a floor mounted parking brake would have been better, then there could have been a nice storage area in the middle.

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
Well, I think that the Big Red should have had the following:

Electronic 4x4 system - as stated already.

5-way adjustable shocks - simple spring adjust would be fine.

Digital display standard - sorry Honda but this is a just stupid oversite.

Larger bed capacity - really 500lbs out of a machine this big? Come on.

Styling - Ok, but very bland, did they fire thier styling department?

ESP System - OK, what the hell were you thinking with removing the ESP option from this engine and transmission combo. Just plain stupid, very stupid.
Okay I agree with everything above but I have to point out that Honda tends to under rate everything so I sure that it could haul more and carry more in the bed than rated.

Nice to haves:

Electric steering - ok, it would be nice but is the additional cost worth it?
I would pay for it but on a bike this big turning it at a dead stop is not that bad.

Adjustable seats - I guess I should have said easier adjustable seats, come on a Civic is easier.
Not an issue for me or anyone else that has rode with me. Not even sure why they made this an option.

Different transmission - I love the Rincon but a 3 speed, even if it is geared lower, is still no match compaired to a nice Hi/Low range setup! Think bigger Rubicon motor and transmission.
Agreed big is almost always better.

Hand parking brake - really? a floor mounted parking brake would have been better, then there could have been a nice storage area in the middle.
I love my hand brake and find it way better than my dad's prowler floor mounted park break. Granted hand breaks turns are not really pretty in the big red but they are do-able on the right surface.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Seat Adjustment - I only bring up the seat adjustment issue since a old couple I know has one and his wife is one of the last people to have Polio as a kid, anyway for her to drive it they have to adjust the seat diferently for her then for him. They swear at it everytime, just not convient if you intend have to adjust it often.

Parking Brake - never been a fan of hand brakes and would much rather have a large storage/center console there instead!

Box Capacity - I agree, my Rincon is only rated to tow 300 lbs but I've never towed a dead moose that only weights 300lbs. Nope never have and it towed it all just fine. Number are for Lawyers but when your looking at the Big Red number and then compairing it to the other UTVs and see that for a big as it it, it has the same load capacity as smaller UTV, come on. Honda free up the lawyers a little!

·
Registered
167 Posts
1. Low Range would be on my most needed list
2. ESP program so I could keep in low gear when in deep snow
3. Different hood tie down system
4. 5 mph more top speed
5. relocate air cleaner intake

1 - 15 of 15 Posts