Honda Pioneer Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This thread is for everyone who has changed the oil on a Big Red.
Second time changing the oil and I wanted to make this process easier.
To be honest I don’t really like the outcome because of the look, the usability of the access panel I do like!
Should you choose to tackle this please entertain these few suggestions,
  • Use a battery or air impact to remove the screws, it works better. Replacement screws have to be special ordered by Honda dealer.
  • In hindsight I would use 1/8 X 1.5 inch aluminum and have the corners welded so you don’t have as many screws.

I don’t have any fancy tools so I’m sure with better equipment this would look great!

Here is the floor panel out, ah look at that oil filter now!!! :D

A few more shots of the floor,

Here is the metal used,

Frame done,

Removed the frame, scored the plastic for cutting,

I hate cutting holes like this, you can screw up soooo easy, :censored:

Panel reinstalled,

Done,

Hope this helps :alcohol:

·
Registered
148 Posts
great idea! i almost considered bringing mine to the dealer after the first oil change. i agree that the look is to be desired, but it seems extremely user friendly. if you had used black hardware it may be a little easier on the eyes. i might have used rivets on the frame instead. all and all i say good job.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bigbonvi,
I have the same opinion, the black hardware would look nicer. Also using thicker aluminum would reduce/eliminate the need for the speed nuts and “L” shaped brackets. Needed to use what I had at the house to complete this so in the future I may replace the hardware with black or sandblast the finish off and paint the screws black. On the removable panel I used these automotive trim washers underneath, that looks bad also. Next oil change the washers will be coming off. My hope is Honda steps up and improves the later BR units. The acrobatics’ one must go thru to change the oil is the worst I’ve seen. That’s why you have seen the BR owners voice displeasure, In an earlier thread Sfrankland even created 7 words for the oil change process which he never posted, they must be REALY bad!:rotfl:

I will post a reply when the panel on my BR is updated.

Enjoy the ride and thanks for the feedback

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
I have been wanting to put a heater in mine tied to the coolant system. This would be the area that I would install it as well. I wonder if I could work the access panel into the design. Now I just need the time to work out the details and get it done.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Great idea, I lucked out on my 2d change as my buddy installed a lift in his shop and with my BR up on the lift it was much easier to change the filter this time plus I could look things over.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey,, got an idea!
Every BR owner should be required to have a lift! I would have a hard time selling it to my wife now, after the fact. However for all of those reading this buy it as a combo package. Kinda like upgraging to the larger drink at Micky D's :thumb:

Thanks for the idea OFRC :clap:

·
Registered
167 Posts
Hey,, got an idea!
Every BR owner should be required to have a lift! I would have a hard time selling it to my wife now, after the fact. However for all of those reading this buy it as a combo package. Kinda like upgraging to the larger drink at Micky D's :thumb:

Thanks for the idea OFRC :clap:
Cenflrider,
Do you think Honda will offer 0% for 60 months on the lift? After all they got us all into this mess. LOL

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OFRC, just like the safety nets, 10 mph speed limit in reverse and other safety features Honda would have many forms for us to sign to make sure we don’t hurt ourselves. If you think about it they could make money on lift having it be an approved accessory. The 0 percent financing would just make it that much more attractive. I do like your thought process; you know they have you sit down and explain this and that at time of signing, Honda should be required to tell you the level of expertise needed to service this sled. :stirpot:

Sfrankland, use 2 sets of like ramps, it make the process easier.

·
Registered
148 Posts
not really relavent to oil iflters, but if we are gonna take the man code and tell the wifey that certain things "have" to come with the BR how about a pressure washer. thank god there is one at work i can use. @ $0.25/minute at the local carwash, i would have spent well over $100 so far and mine is only 4 months old! that leaves the $100 bucks for other goodies.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.