Honda Pioneer Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Gang,

Wondering if anyone has installed an oil heating pad to help heat up the oil on those cold winter nights/days?

I'm in Canada and -30 to -40 celcius without the wind is not uncommon. I had a couple of no starts due to cold oil and needed to improvise to get it warmed up in the middle of nowhere.

I see these heating pads online, tried to locate the best spot to stick it on but looking for input from anyone who has already successfully installed and used one.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My new side by side, Honda's top of the line Big Red has now twice had water in the oil. In speaking to the dealer I am told that in cold weather, on all side by sides, quads, etc. by all makers, you must run them for a minimum of one hour to allow the engine to get hot enough to burn off the condensation from the cylinder walls. If the engine is not allowed to get hot enough that condensation runs into the oil and contaminates it adding wear and increasing the risk of catastrophic engine failure.

I am told this applies to generators as well.

This issue is not documented and can be a real problem if the owner/operator of the BR doesn't know.

As for heating...I bought a heated dip stick which helps. Just remember to switch for the factory dip stick before operation or starting.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, this was one of my guesses when one morning at camp after a major cold front came in. I started my machine within a few seconds of turning over and let it run for 5 minutes to make sure i could get home. Thee two hours later when it was time to leave, no start... Then came the make shift heater using my coleman stove and some tarps to block the wind until i could produce enough heat to get it started again.

Moral of the story...don't start it until it's time to go!

I'm interested in the dipstick idea and will look online for a good buy and then post it in this thread in case anyone else is interested.

Bottom line is, if the oil is kept warm enough, you will get oil pressure sooner and it will be easier on the enging. Oh yeah and of course it starting would be nice... Thanks for the response.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts