Honda Pioneer Forums banner

Portable heater for the garage

9K views 23 replies 4 participants last post by  Twincam 
G
#1 ·
Looking for suggestions on heating a 20X20 garage for the odd day I want to work in the garage throughout the winter months. Looking for something that is safe and will heat up the room fairly quickly and I can control the temperature.

G
#13 ·
I like the cleaner(less smelly) propane ones too. They have small lightweight ones in any size you wish. Those IR style propane ones are good in a closet sized space but a 20x20 you need something with a fan.

FWIW, if you have a ceiling fan in your garage (who dosen't? LOL) every now and then run it(or constantly on very slow) so it blows downward to circulate the warmer air around the room.

#15 ·
I rolled down to Ace Hardware and bought an electric portable. At 1/4 power, it kept my 25'x30' garage around 50 deg through the winter and the last two weeks, as the temps have started finally climbing above freezing, it's up around 60 deg.

It automatically turns on and off, I don't have to smell kerosene or propane, and I can move it pretty easily since it's pretty small. I was surprised at how well it keeps the garage warm.

G
#16 ·
HondaGalToo said:
The bottom one, it actually moves air with a fan. The top one is just radiant, like heat off of a stove. You would have to move the air to warm the area.

G
#20 ·
When I installed a new system in my house I moved the old heating \ air system to the garage \ shop. Now I have Central Heating and Air. A Climate Controled environment is nice to play in.

Plus I have a comfortable "dog house" when the wifey decides to get fussy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.