Honda Pioneer Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an opportunity to pick up some unused Held Akira gloves for a pretty good price. I currently wear some Alpinestars SP1 gloves, and I like them just fine. Buuuuut, I have a crush on the Helds. :O I have heard nothing but good things about Held gloves, their quality, etc.

My question is: would you pick up the Held's in place of the A-Stars, or would you just keep the A-stars since they work fine?

Are the Held's that much better in all aspects that I should seriously consider switching? I know retail on them is about twice what the SP1s is.

Opinions please :allears:

Held: Held Akira Motorcycle Race Gloves

Alpinestars: Alpinestars, Alpine Stars SP-1 Motorcycle Gloves

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
My question is: would you pick up the Held's in place of the A-Stars, or would you just keep the A-stars since they work fine?
I'm assuming you would keep your current A* and relegate them to back up pair ... or am I missing something?:idunno:

I've had a pair of Held gloves for a few years now, and they are still excellent. Great comfort, very well made, and something I feel I can trust. The Akira model may be my replacement soon.

The A* appears to be a good glove too, but never fit very well when I tried some on, so I haven't tried them. But they do seem to be a little less than the Helds.

Having lost the tendon in the end of my little finger due to a glove "blow-out" (dang glad the hand surgeon for the Grand Rapids symphony was on call that night, fixed me up pretty darn good :thumb: ), knowing the seams will stay together, that the reinforcements are in the right place, etc. is worth the extra money.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm assuming you would keep your current A* and relegate them to back up pair ... or am I missing something?:idunno: quote]

Actually, the Helds would be replacing the A-stars. I have a pair of JR summer gloves that I use as a backup pair.

The more time I spend around this sport the more I realize that I need to protect my a$$ (and the rest of me) as well as possible. I just want to know if these woudl be worth the extra coin? ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Actually, the Helds would be replacing the A-stars. I have a pair of JR summer gloves that I use as a backup pair.

The more time I spend around this sport the more I realize that I need to protect my a$$ (and the rest of me) as well as possible. I just want to know if these woudl be worth the extra coin? ;)
So you won't keep the ones you are replacing? :idunno:

I was skeptical of the Helds when I got mine. Several friends had them and loved them, and then I hit a great deal at one of the bike shows and indulged. After a few years, rain and everything, they continue to hold up, and are comfy like fine pair of gloves should be ... I couldn't come up with a "fits like a glove" analagy with out saying it :smilebig:

I'm still a cheap a$$, but am willing to spend to protect all of me, and hands are no where to skimp ... I was going to get the last race of the season out of that pair that didn't hold up (literally); though with the way the hand hit maybe maybe even new those would not have helped ... the leather itself split. The Helds (as do others) have protection where I needed it, and the Helds seem to have that extra bit of quality that lets me not worry.

I'm sure the A* is great too, and would like to try them if they fit right, but will compare everything to the Held. Just my opinion.

Dang, am I the wordy one today :O

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So you won't keep the ones you are replacing? :idunno:

I was skeptical of the Helds when I got mine. Several friends had them and loved them, and then I hit a great deal at one of the bike shows and indulged. After a few years, rain and everything, they continue to hold up, and are comfy like fine pair of gloves should be ... I couldn't come up with a "fits like a glove" analagy with out saying it :smilebig:

I'm still a cheap a$$, but am willing to spend to protect all of me, and hands are no where to skimp ... I was going to get the last race of the season out of that pair that didn't hold up (literally); though with the way the hand hit maybe maybe even new those would not have helped ... the leather itself split. The Helds (as do others) have protection where I needed it, and the Helds seem to have that extra bit of quality that lets me not worry.

I'm sure the A* is great too, and would like to try them if they fit right, but will compare everything to the Held. Just my opinion.

Dang, am I the wordy one today :O
Sorry, I would not be keeping the SP1s. I'd sell them and strictly use the Akiras. Which gloves were you wearing that split?

I agree that the hands are no place to skimp, and that's why I'm wondering about the Held's, which seem to have better protection.

Anyone else have any experience with Held gloves?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the "Visor wiper" thing looks kinda cool. Saw something posted here or someplace that showed held holding up very well in tests.

I just picked up a set of kushitani gloves for trackdays. Great gloves with no hard armor. I have found gloves with hard armer aren't as flexible.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've had some Akiras for a fair while now. Been very happy with them, I've never really tested them in a fall but their reputation is very good. The kangaroo skin palm is soft but mine has finally worn through and the gloves will have to be replaced. Not sure whether I'll go for Held again. Probably try some A*s to be honest. Held are expensive.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am a huge fan of all the Held line, their products are top knotch, and off superior protection as well as comfort. Although the Held gloves are fairly new on this side of the pond, over in Europe they are absolutly huge. And i belive in time they will be huge here.

Id go with the akira's.

-Nick

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Helds new here? I've been using them for 12 years...:idunno:
I currently have Galaxy and Akira. Both are great gloves, but I fortunately haven't "tested" them. Those who have say they have done the job very well. I like them, but I've never really used any other race glove.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I sorta mis-worded what i was trying to say, they just aren't big over here like they are in europe, they are a very well situated and found company, but they don't have a name like joe rocket or alpine stars over here, so many people only go with what they have heard of.

Didn't mean to say they just got here, just the name isn't big here yet.

-Nick

Also in the registration for this site when you fill out what gear you use, held isn't even in the gloves drop down.....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That could be, they are great gloves, can't say enough good things about them. I think time will let them get over here more.

-Nick

1 - 13 of 13 Posts