Honda Pioneer Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When riding a sportbike my helmet is very loud. I have a Bell and a HJC full face style. Both similar in noise levels.
Is there such a thing as a "Quiet Helmet"? Or should I just count on wearing ear plugs till I buy a GoldWing?
Thank you!!
Hip

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The best thing to do is to wear good ear plugs. It cuts out wind noise and allows you to hear other sounds better.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:plus1: Earplugs will save your hearing there is no such thing as a helmet quiet enough to protect you from the white noise of the wind. Trust me my wife is an audiologist makes me custom plugs for all different things. Sleeping, work and riding.....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:plus1: Earplugs will save your hearing there is no such thing as a helmet quiet enough to protect you from the white noise of the wind. Trust me my wife is an audiologist makes me custom plugs for all different things. Sleeping, work and riding.....
Is there a noticable difference between wall-mart brand ear plugs vs custom made audiologist type?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't have any personal experience actually riding with one on, but believe it or not, Scorpion is getting pretty good reviews for sound.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have owned or own a Shoei RF-1000, Scorpion EX-700, and HJC CL-15. The Shoei is, by far, the quietest helmet I've owned. The HJC is the loudest.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
at the end of the day, you're on a sport bike, at high speeds, with virtually no windshield and just a thin piece of plastic and foam between you and 70 mph. You're going to get some wind.

These types of threads remind me of one's I would see in the Jeep forums where guys wanted to know what setup would ride the smoothest when they lift their jeep 7 inches and throw mud tires under them.

Wind noise doesn't bother me but I'm probably deaf from many, many years of rock concerts. :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yep, i'll go along with everyone else...no such thing as a quiet helmet, they all make noise at somepoint during your ride. Personaly i blame the airvents cos i dont remember any wind noise off the old fiberglass lids of the 70's

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
use ear plugs.... like someone else already said, you can hear the road and everyghing around you better then with out them.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The only problem with gopher pillows is that I HATE the way they feel in my ears. I think it might actually take away from the ride.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Is there a noticable difference between wall-mart brand ear plugs vs custom made audiologist type?
Ya custom plugs you don't even notice them I mean I wear them for hours at a time and no problems what so ever, makes my ride more enjoyable. The wind noise drives me INSANE I mean I can't focus and get disoriented by it to the point that I can't ride....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ya custom plugs you don't even notice them I mean I wear them for hours at a time and no problems what so ever, makes my ride more enjoyable. The wind noise drives me INSANE I mean I can't focus and get disoriented by it to the point that I can't ride....
Wow. That would be a pisser!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Dirty,
I actually tried riding with my Ipod for the first time last weekend and even though it's not as sound proofed as real earplugs, it did help alot and made the ride more enjoyable at the same time. I have heard there is ear buds out there that work real well under a helmet. I admit my Ipod ear buds were not that comfortable under the helmet for a long ride.
Thanks for your replies guys!
Hip

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i just got the new scorpion hemet i think exo 1000 sumthin like that
flip down glasses/ tinted 2nd shield thing ... really freakin cool

but i had an HJC before and there is a huge difference.

the wind isnt howling in my ears n e more i am more than satified

i think u would be more than happy with that type of hemet

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
HJC and Bell are cheap therefor LOUD. Most higher grade helmets are pretty quiet. I have been riding for years and never needed ear plugs. I always have worn Shoei helmets and now use a Scorpian which I am very impressed with and they are very inexpensive. Pick up a good helmet and forget about ear plugs. If you are that sensitive just buy a Volvo or nice Country Squire station wagon.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.