Honda Pioneer Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at gear right now and am really confused about the whole mesh vs leather debate. It seems like almost everyone agrees that mesh is better than nothing, but much less preferable than leather. Then why is everyone recommending I buy mesh gear?

I was thinking about buying my gear from the Closeout section of New Enough- right now I was thinking about the Cortech by Tour Master leather jacket (Cortech by Tour Master Ladies LNX Leather Motorcycle Jacket :: New Enough, LTD) or the Power Trip Women's TT Textile jacket (Power Trip Ladies TT Textile Motorcycle Jacket :: New Enough, LTD)

I'm finding the whole process a bit confusing to be honest- and no real way to evaluate the leather when previous fireblades threads (with the Save Your Hide .pdf) said that competition grade leather was the way to go.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm personally not a fan of the mesh gear, although it is better than a t-shirt. Leather protects the best. If you'll just be doing commuting, a good textile/cordura jacket and pants would serve you well. Ones like the Aerostich Roadcrafter have armor and are waterproof, nearly as good protection as leather. They're pricey, but other companies make good cordura, too. The names are escaping me at the moment. Cortech is good, for one. I have leathers for the track, but for commuting and weekend trips, I wear the Aerostich Roadcrafter, much more versatile. With leathers, you'll need separate rain gear.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sweat it out, your skin will appreciate it. Mesh is ok for a temp coat.Good for 1 time down depending on your fall. They have a bad rap about folding up in a fall.Or melting. but times have changed and they have gotten better ,but nothing beats the protection of a leather in a fall. Wear a leather and pants (perforated in summer) . road rash is a very painful injury. A rug burn amplified by 10 with tar or rocks in it. with iodine wash in it. No joke.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Think of it this way: Sweat you can wipe off; road scars you can't. That said, you're better suited with leather, perforated if you can get it. It's what I use and it works, albeit hot at times.

For commuting to work, I'll usually wear a shirt that I don't mind getting wrinkled or sweat in, and then change in to a clean, work appropriate work shirt.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.