Honda Pioneer Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been trying to decide what to get for tires and now that I have my mind some what made up I am left wondering if I would be better off going with aluminium rims or steel ones. I have 3 of my rims dented now and was wondering if the aluminium would hold up any better. I plan on running a 26" 6-ply radial tire so I should have more rim protection or at least I hope I will. Any opinions would be welcomed.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Seeing some of your vids and the type of trail riding you do I would stay with steel wheels. Lived north and south and one common theme with rough trail riding is bent wheels. That said, I have never seen one leave someone stranded but it just slows your riding. I may go with some aluminum wheels down the road but for now I’m staying with my stock wheels. This said, the riding down here is not a real challenge for a side by side unless you want to go mudding, and the mudholes down here would swallow BR. I'm showing my age here. :eek:
Just a FYI , I have 2 wheelers (Honda 250ex / Suzuki Ozark250) both have aluminum wheels and both have experienced a bend. The other units (Honda Forman 450 / Suzuki Ozark 250, Suzuki LT80, Big Red) all have steel wheels and have not bent more than a lip on a wheel.
There is a considerable weight difference between steel and aluminum so this may fit into the equation.

Sorry for the ramble

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just picked up a set of Mud Lites with 95% tread left for the mud and I am thinking about mounting them on the stock rims. I am now looking at getting a set of Terra Cross on ITP rims for the trails.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Well from what I see the stock tires say 25 but they are more like a 23. I will be interested in hearing how you like the mud lites on BR. For trail/mud riding they will be great. The terra cross tire looks like the way to go however I have a hard time justifying the cost at the current time. That’s ok, stockers will do for now. Just happy to have a BR and go riding. :smilebig:

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have ITP SS 112 wheels and they take a beating and NO PROBLEMS!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Im running ITP SS 112 on my 09 BR w/25in kenda executioners and living in alaska see alot of everything (swamp mud with no bottom, sand and rock on the beaches and alot of trees and brush). Im also running the same wheels with 589's on my 05 Foreman S since new with almost 3000miles on it. I have been to hell and back and have never bent or broke a wheel on either. I even clipped a tree with the foreman and wiped out both A arms on the left side but did no damage to the wheel. guarantee the stock wheel would have bent. ITP has a lifetime warantee on their wheels and i was told from an ITP rep that "if you can bend or break it we will replace it no questions asked" They are cheaper than new factory wheels also.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I replaced stock wheels with ITP SS 312 wheels. I went for 14" thinking it would be easier to clean than a 12" wheel when they get mud in the backs. I have Mud Lite XTR's which definitely work better than the stock tires. I like the fact they are 6 ply.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I replaced my stock 25" black steel wheels with a pair of 27" STI aluminum wheels... Both are maxis big horn tires... I have had no problems so far..
I just realized what I wrote... I have no idea what size my rims are but went to a 2" bigger tire and just guessing that my after market STI rims would be 2" bigger also???:crying:

·
Registered
10 Posts
I love this forum, thanks for always answering my questions. I have one more though... with a 2011 and a 2" highlift, do u think i would be able to put 14" rims with 28" tires without any rubbing problems?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.