Honda Pioneer Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me start by saying that I am not trying to get another discussion started about what brand of helmet is better than the rest. My question is simple, does anyone have an EXO 1000 and if so are they quality helmets? I am going to get a new helmet and like the features of the EXO 1000(primarily the flip down visor and numerous vents). I am running out of space and want to eliminate having to keep multiple visors (day/night) on the bike at all times. I have looked at the WikiShift but think that the EXO looks like it is put together better. I went to my local dealer and the only had the 400 and 700 so I still have no idea what the 1000 feels like. I have no way of testing it to check comfort and road noise so I was hoping that someone out there had one and an opinion. Thanks for the help.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I don't have one, but I work at a shop so if we have one I'll try it on monday. Honestly though, you might just want to find a helmet that fits well, and get an auto-darkening visor. I always hated carrying an extra visor on long rides too.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have seen the EXO 1000 first hand. It is a great helmet and quality made. The only thing I did not like was the flip down visor seem to disort my view ever so slightly. Otherwise, I think the EXO 1000 is a great helmet. I have 16 helmets. From Arai to Suomy. I looked at the Wiki Helmets and they seem to be fairly good too! I love the photochromatic shield they have to offer. I may purchase a Wiki before too long.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hmm.. auto darkening visor!! always wondered if there was such thing but have never seen one. anybody know if they are available for shark helmets??

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bigtoe "I have seen the EXO 1000 first hand. It is a great helmet and quality made. The only thing I did not like was the flip down visor seem to disort my view ever so slightly. Otherwise, I think the EXO 1000 is a great helmet. I have 16 helmets. From Arai to Suomy. I looked at the Wiki Helmets and they seem to be fairly good too! I love the photochromatic shield they have to offer."

I like the photochromatic shield as well but think that the EXO looks like it is vented better and that is a big deal in the summer. I have only seen pictures of both though and it is not helping in my decision making. I am trying to find a dealer that sells both relatively close to the cincinnati area and am not having much luck When you say that it distorted your view are you refering to a safety issue distortion or just fat chicks look hot distortion.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have seen the EXO 1000 first hand. It is a great helmet and quality made. The only thing I did not like was the flip down visor seem to disort my view ever so slightly. Otherwise, I think the EXO 1000 is a great helmet. I have 16 helmets. From Arai to Suomy. I looked at the Wiki Helmets and they seem to be fairly good too! I love the photochromatic shield they have to offer. I may purchase a Wiki before too long.

Yeah, Scorpion had said the 1000's visor would be optically correct but now they admit that it isn't. I've seen only one in person so far, and I did like the design and style of it, but it didn't fit too well on my head. I think their shape is similar to Shoei's shape, and I don't fit as well in Shoei or Scorpion as I do in an Arai or a Shark.

Also, the only bad thing I have to say about the Wiki helmets is about the photochromatic visor. They say that it can actually take a few minutes to go from dark to clear, so to be especially careful when going from like outside middle of the day to inside a tunnel, etc.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
a friend of mine has the 1000 with the flip down visor and loves it.. personally i would love to have a face shield that won't fog..

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I like the photochromatic shield as well but think that the EXO looks like it is vented better and that is a big deal in the summer. I have only seen pictures of both though and it is not helping in my decision making. I am trying to find a dealer that sells both relatively close to the cincinnati area and am not having much luck When you say that it distorted your view are you refering to a safety issue distortion or just fat chicks look hot distortion.
The EXO would be a way better ventilating helmet. Even Wiki says they need work in that aspect. The deal with the flip down shield on the EXO being distorted is slight at best. It could be overcome, or not at all present to some people. It's more of a safety thing for me.
As far as fat chicks looking hot while looking through the flip down. Ah I dont know.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i bought a 700 from sportiketrackgear.com for $125 w/ free shipping. It is a great spare helmet. The 1000 i tried-on was really weird with the flip-down visor. It worked well, but the distortion made my head hurt because it liked counter-acted my glasses. Not good for me, but if you have good vision, it may not be that different.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I found a shop that carries the EXO1000 not to far from where I live so I will get a chance to try that on tomorrow but still nothing on the Wiki. Thanks for all of the advice, it is all going to come down to how bad the distortion end up.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
After all of this deliberation I finally got to put a lid on my head. Scorpion does not make a helmet for my odd shaped head. If I moved my mouth my chin would pop out of the chin curtain and the curtain would stay just below my lip. The internal visor was not all that I expected. I ended up coming to the realization that I am going to carry two visors and I bought a Domain 2 Rubatone mate black. Thanks again for all of the help.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here's a review from a dude on Sportbikes.net:

The vents (especially the chin vent) are retarded (I can't feel *anything* at 30 MPH), and while the anti-fogging is pretty good, the visor tends to get sweaty.

Also, I think they made the helmet huge (bubble head) to make room for the flip-up visor feature (mirror tents look cooler anyway), so you're look ridiculous wearing it... like you're wearing some cheap plastic one-shell-size-fits all helmet instead of the 350-dollar helmet you've just bought.

Also, bits of it started to come loose on mine so I had to glue them back in place.

And the pump-up cheek pads are a half-assed feature that aren't nearly as good as what a good set of custom pads are.

Here's WebBikeWorld's review which pretty much backs up what he said(the review wasn't up when he bought his): Scorpion EXO-1000 - webBikeWorld

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Not seeing how you got that they reviewed the helmet in 2004. The helmet wasn't even available back then. In fact, it was supposed to be out early 07 but wasn't released until late last year.

Also, at the bottom of the review, it very clearly says "Review Date: November 2007"...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Not seeing how you got that they reviewed the helmet in 2004. The helmet wasn't even available back then. In fact, it was supposed to be out early 07 but wasn't released until late last year.

Also, at the bottom of the review, it very clearly says "Review Date: November 2007"...
hahaha, lollz, I don't know where I got that from.. I must have been reading a different review and mixed them, long day..

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have an EXO 1000 and I love it. The only odd things I notices is the clear lens is pretty thick and anything passing in your periffory gets distorted. The flip down lens is nice for those bright days you forget your sunglasses or wanna be like Maverick. One of the pros is how quiet it is. The design reduces wind noise to a rumble instead of a loud hissing. My double bubble might also aide with that, I'm not sure. The inflatable cheek pads I don't really use. The ventilation is outstanding. I haven't broken a sweat in my helmet since I bought it. And the bit of fabric that stretches across the chin reduces the amount of air that rushes up into your face. All in all, I would recommend it to anyone. Plus its DOT and Snell approved.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.