Honda Pioneer Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
M

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I've been thinking for a while now. Should I get a nice leather suit? I do most riding on the street, the occasional drag (at the strip) and want to do a few track days this year to get into the whole track thing.

Right now I have a Joe Rocket Meteor jacket, and a pair of joe rocket ballistic pants. I really like these because they are comfortable, they have removeable liners to accomodate the changing weather, they are waterproof, and they have nice vents for when it is hot.

I am looking at a Teknic violator suit and want to know if it's worth it to switch? Is the leather suit really that much more protective? Will I need a leather suit to do track days or is the JR gear adequate? The violator suit is a great deal so if I should get a leather suit then I better do it now!

Thanks for the advice!

Mark
 
N

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Most tracks require leather after the initial track school or first session (NESBA for example).
 
H

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What Northy said. Some will allow textile suits like an Aerostich in the Novice group, but if you're considering doing several track days, you'll be much better off with a leather suit...they do protect better. Make sure you get a good one with armor and get a back protector. If you get a 2-piece, ensure that it's a full-circumferance zipper, not just the kind that just zips across the back.
 
D

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I definately believe in ultimate protection on track and road. What price do you pay for safety. Well as much as you can afford. I may look like a wanker in my full leathers everyday at work but I feel confident on the road. Alpinestar, shoei, and sidi, protects me all the way from home to work.

darkblade. :)
 
L

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have both leather and textile, to go fast, the leather is :thumb: there is a lot more drag with textile. :twocents:

For racing that is :evilaugh:
 
B

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes....buy a decent set of leathers if you plan on doing more than just a couple of track days.

I started out with an Aerostich, but once I realized that I had the track day itch, I bought a set.....2pc at first because I thought I would use them on the street as well. This turned out to be false economy, and a year later I picked up a 1 pc....

My 2 cents....skip the 2pc step, and buy the best 1pc your budget allows....better protection, and better comfort.....
 
L

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:thumb: :thumb:
Baketech said:
Yes....buy a decent set of leathers if you plan on doing more than just a couple of track days.

I started out with an Aerostich, but once I realized that I had the track day itch, I bought a set.....2pc at first because I thought I would use them on the street as well. This turned out to be false economy, and a year later I picked up a 1 pc....

My 2 cents....skip the 2pc step, and buy the best 1pc your budget allows....better protection, and better comfort.....
 
M

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok, ok. I get the idea. I bought a Teknic Violator 1 piece suit. Silver/black. Can't wait to get it to find out how much weight I have to lose to get my fat ass in the suit!! :D I hear this is a good suit and hopefully I will never have to find out if it is or not!!

Mark
 
C

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
2k2954 said:
ok, ok. I get the idea. I bought a Teknic Violator 1 piece suit. Silver/black. Can't wait to get it to find out how much weight I have to lose to get my fat ass in the suit!! :D I hear this is a good suit and hopefully I will never have to find out if it is or not!!

Mark
Going with leather is a good choice IMHO. :thumb:

I know what you mean about fitting into the leathers, its been one year and one month (and about 25 lbs.) since I quit smoking. Time to hit the bicycle! :smilebig:
 
B

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
2k2954 said:
ok, ok. I get the idea. I bought a Teknic Violator 1 piece suit. Silver/black. Can't wait to get it to find out how much weight I have to lose to get my fat ass in the suit!! :D I hear this is a good suit and hopefully I will never have to find out if it is or not!!

Mark
Rock on.... :freebird:

Speaking of fat asses, a 1pc is a good training motivator as it reminds you of your physical condition. I let myself slide a few pounds over the holidays....had to get back on the wagon this month to be ready for spring.... :crap:
 
C

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ratter said:
Buy leather 20 million cows can't be wrong ;)
Better cowhide than my hide! :nod:

Besides, maybe someday a lady will walk up to you and tell you that her little girl just asked if you were a Power Ranger.... Happened to me. :D
 
R

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
cbr99xx said:
Besides, maybe someday a lady will walk up to you and tell you that her little girl just asked if you were a Power Ranger.... Happened to me. :D

If you had you back protectoir outside your leathers, she may have thought you were a ninja turtle ;)
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top