Honda Pioneer Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few months back there was a thread started by user “overkill”. At that point I knew I was going to check my intake system closely next chance I got.
Xtremerancher02 then posted on the thread below how he installed his snorkel. Thanks for sharing what was required Xtremerancher02 to get this done.

http://www.bigredforums.com/forums/general-honda-big-red-discussion/72657-going-get-my-big-red.html

Also let me say that Xtremerancher02 used all black tube. In Florida black it is no longer code so the best place to find it would be a RV or mobile home repair place (if your in Florida). My 8 foot section of 2 in was $14.00 US and the cost of fittings made me go home and change my shorts! The guy had to order the fittings but I was committed on the pipe so sorry in advance for the mixed colors.

Here is how my snorkle went, I just cut the stock tube in a few places to get it out of there.

Here is the lower tube routing,

Here is the attachment for the lower tube. The rubber was put there to prevent rattles.

Here is the rubber section to join the lower and upper section together,

Here are pictures of the finished product,

Here are the lower section measurements,

Here are the upper section measurements,

Here is an example of how I measured, this is 4 inches,

Hope this helps :patriot:

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have been looking at mine and what would you think about using a 2" rubber radiator hose to get up above the plastic below the seat then change to ABS pipe.

·
Registered
148 Posts
it would work good if you can find the right one the first time. it may be a nightmare trying to get the right hose.

attached is the one i just finished. the one one the carpet is the lower section. i wanted real smooth bends to not affect air flow too much. what top section should i use???:idunno:

SNOKEL pictures by BIGBONVI - Photobucket

ps how the hell do i get full sized pictures in this forum

·
Registered
14 Posts
I snorkled mine to the top of the roll bar cage, right behind passenger's seat, near 6' high with a wet vacuum hose. Been like that 2 years, no issues. Hose rides up right behind roll cage vertical post on right rear in photo. Turns down at roof 180 degrees. Survived bayou crossings with water over the steering wheel. Big red feels like its going to float with doors closed, its like a boat......

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just want to give you a heads up, the pictures say the elbows are 45 degrees, when in fact those are 90 degree elbows shown. I did not figure it out until after I had bought the 45's and try to assemble them. Maybe this will save you some time and money.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello if you are looking for a snorkel kit I have them for sale on Ebay. It uses the stock air box, and runs up along side the passenger side roll bar. it ifts 09 to present. I work for a Honda dealership in eastern oregon (desert) we have a dust problem, and this is extreme blue headlights fix. My honda service rep took pictures to take back to honda for future upgrades, or future model updates.
Can I get a link to your ebay account if you don't mind? I'm looking for a snorkel kit. Thanks.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hello, I had a question about my snorkle system today. They asked if this modification would let the "big red" go chest deep in the water. I can only think of if the air box lid will seal as it is, and the differential vents and exhaust are run high enough it would work. any thoughts?
Thanks Tom......

·
Registered
20 Posts
When I built this, I was thinking of the dust problem, my system is water tight, for doing the swamp buggy thing, you will need to move the diff vents up to a high location, I would look for other vents as well.

Good luck and have fun! Tom...................

·
Registered
20 Posts
If you are looking for a kit I still have them for sale on ebay, we install these on all new big reds we sell at my dealership.
Thanks Tom... if you have questions you can call me at work tues- sat 541-567-8919

·
Registered
40 Posts
just go buy toms, i just tried to build one it didn't work so well i thought i could just make my own my way and after 6 hrs I'm just mad at my self.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yea, I picked up one of the kits from Tom last week. Yet haven't put it on just yet cuz the machine is so new.

Good question Fordman, but I don't have the answer. Like allways it depends alot on your dealer.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I bought and installed the kit from Tom Wright. It is an easy and neat install. Use the template and check the location several times before you drill the big fender hole. About a week after I installed it I took it to the dealer for the first service. I asked him if the snorkel affected the warranty. His answer was "hell no, they should come like that from the factory".

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.