Honda Pioneer Forums banner

Solo travel with scoot in P/U

4K views 19 replies 3 participants last post by  Repeater 
G
#1 ·
Here's the deal. I have to travel frequently, and most of the time it's in an airplane. But, once in awhile I have to go by my own conveyance. I have a 4x4 Toyota Tundra and ideally I would like to load my scoot in the bed, but how do I get it out without findind a loading dock somewhere and trying to get both vehicles back to the hotel. I have some aluminimum ramps that I use for my atv and mower. but trying to get a 500lb scooter up and down a 40 degree angle is stupid, or at minimum entails to much risk. Any ideas? I'm at the point I think I'll have to buy a trailer, or just buy a klr or something that a can just throw on and off.

G
#3 ·
I think I could it in bed, (don't laugh) but getting it out is what has me worried. The ramps are only about 12 inches wide, and trying to hold the brake and jump down, and keeping the bike balanced... going to be ugly...
the angle is to great. I don't think there is an answer, but sometimes the obvious isn't so obvious.

#4 ·
but trying to get a 500lb scooter up and down a 40 degree angle is stupid, or at minimum entails to much risk. Any ideas? I'm at the point I think I'll have to buy a trailer, or just buy a klr or something that a can just throw on and off.

Dude.... your two wheeled scooter weighs 500lbs?????? :huh: what kinda scooter is this?

VFRs dont even weigh that much.

My 50cc Vino fits in the back of my Odyssey with a ramp (if I am solo) or I just lift it in with a buddy of mines. I had a pick up or didnt care about my bumper I'd lift it in myself.

Seriously... what kind of scooter is this?

As for ideas... if you find a pretty steep curb... and drive only your front wheel onto the top edge of it... it will decrease the loading angle of the ramp in the back.

-jh
proud supporter of throwing a givi rack on this 500lb scooter and taking it instead of the pick up truck.

G
#5 ·
Yeah I agree, but gun barrels sticking out is an invitation for a ticket...
One day I was pushing (in a towel and bare feet):huh: my Triumph 1050cc Sprint into the garage, and it fell over to the right and there was no saving it. (it fell over very! gently) but it was hell trying to pickup. Most of the scrapes were caused by me trying to pick it up. I know there is not an answer, other than buying a trailer, or 2x8x24 piece of lumber. I think a 3 ft by 8ft piece of steel mesh (properly re-enforced with angle iron) would work. I dunno....

Believe me, I am still trying figure out a way to leave the truck at home

#6 ·
One day I was pushing (in a towel and bare feet):huh: my Triumph 1050cc Sprint into the garage, ....... I know there is not an answer, other than buying a trailer, or 2x8x24 piece of lumber. I think a 3 ft by 8ft piece of steel mesh (properly re-enforced with angle iron) would work. I dunno....
:plus1: on the :huh: for pushing a bike with a towel and bare feet....

then again I am a city slicker so what do I know.

You still lost me though.... is the Sprint ST the "scoot"????? If so I gotta get with the new internet lingo...

You can get a $60 ramp set (thats TWO RAMPS) from Wally's world (aka Wal-mart) problem solved...

If the "scoot" is the Sprint... then I think you're wasting valuable gas money and riding time by taking the pick up... IMO...

barrels can be hidden... where theres a will, theres a way.

-jh
proud supporter of overnight shipping said barrels to my destination

G
#8 ·
You still lost me though.... is the Sprint ST the "scoot"????? If so I gotta get with the new internet lingo...

Sorry, it's a game I play with my kids, first one that sees a motorcycle hollers out "scooter !!". Trying to build their awareness

#9 ·
OK gotcha. :thumb:

I would use the double ramp + curb I mentioned before....

turn off the bike and use your cluctch (1st gear) to back the bike down slowly... its usually less abrubt than the front brake.

G
#13 ·
:lmao:

You are right, I should just go buy a covered trailer. I just don't have a good place to park it. If I buy one, I think I'll get one with a kitchen and living room. But I could just buy what supplies and clothes I need after I just ride there, and ship it home when it's time to leave.

G
#14 ·
Here's the deal. I have to travel frequently, and most of the time it's in an airplane. But, once in awhile I have to go by my own conveyance. I have a 4x4 Toyota Tundra and ideally I would like to load my scoot in the bed, but how do I get it out without findind a loading dock somewhere and trying to get both vehicles back to the hotel.
I have a Toyota Tacoma with a 6" lift and 33 inch tires. I put 2 ramps side by side and the bike goes up one and I walk up one with the bike going up under power. Just get a flat surface. I've done it tons of times going to the track and no problems loading it by myself.

G
#15 ·
If any body cares, I ended up just riding. Of course it rained, and rained some more, every day. But with good gear I stayed dry. Thanks for the advice, and I'm sure it will serve me well in the future...

G
#16 ·
If you ever have to try this again and don't have two ramps, as ocvince has, just turn a 5-gallon bucket upside down and use it as an interim step up to the tailgate. Or you could use an actual stepstool. I've used a bucket many times without any worries and you can throw your ratchet straps in it when you take the bike off.

G
#19 ·
:plus1: I was gonna say...

When you're walking the bike backwards down a ramp, the front brake works just fine. The clutch seems like it would be less predictable, and unpredictable+ramp+motorcyle X Murphy= disaster.

I have three 8' long, 12" wide boards that I use to walk my bikes up into my van using the engine to assist. If I can get my VFR up, you should have no trouble with the Sprint.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.