Honda Pioneer Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Everyone!

Sorry again for all the flooding, but I really do need some input!

Looking for a new set of gloves, something where the top priority is protection and the second, venting. I am in Saudi Arabia, so the humidity and temp is very high.

First option, A* GP Tech
Alpinestars GP Tech Gloves - Alpinestars Motorcycle Gloves - KneeDraggers.com

Second, Held Phantom Race
Held Phantom Race Glove - Held Motorcycle Gloves - KneeDraggers.com

Finally, Spidi Penta Race
Spidi Penta Race Gloves - Spidi Motorcycle Gloves - KneeDraggers.com

or Spidi Sport Vent
Spidi Sport Vent Gloves - Spidi Motorcycle Gloves - KneeDraggers.com

If there is something better I missed, please let me know!

Thank you!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have the A* GP Tech gloves and have been pretty happy with them. I've had AGV and Joe Rocket gloves and the A* glove is better by far than those.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i have the a star gp plus glove.

then i went and bought the clover RS3 and will never look back. simply the most comfortable glove i have ever put on. i wear a large a star but the medium in clover is perfect.

CloverItalia.com: RS-3

i think it's also cheaper than the gp tech glove.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
btw the red colour on the rs3 glove is almost an exact match of the erion racing red. i don't mind cause i have the bike but you may think it's a bit bright for a red colour.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the suggestion! I cannot get those from the company that will ship to me in Saudi Arabia however.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for that, the Spidi and the A* are not in there, but I can only guess the A* GP Tech is better then the GP plus.

The Held did bad, cross that off the list.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you for that, the Spidi and the A* are not in there, but I can only guess the A* GP Tech is better then the GP plus.

The Held did bad, cross that off the list.
If you read further, the GP-Tech won their '03 comparison. The Spidi Tre Composites were included last year, and the GP Plus won this year. The Held Phantoms won in '05, but collapsed to mid-apck in the same categories this year. I don't know what that says about the competition or the quality control. There is still much to be gained in the interpretation of those results, especially within the categories of protecitve values and testing. In my estimation, there are no clear winners that encompass all of the valus well, except the extravagantly priced BKS pieces. From there though, we've got make the best with what we've got in the way of options.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I agree with what your saying as by the previous years you can judge the quality of the line of product, however in my opinion only the most recent results are applicable to a current purchase as product is always changing. Held could be made cheaper then previous years, and A* could be improved for example.

I also try not to carry findings over to other models by the same manufacturer, as something that could seem to be an improvement might actually not be. As in the A* GP Plus did very well, and I can assume the GP Tech would only be better, but as they are not tested, I could be very wrong.

Thank you!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Held gloves were the best when Helimot was the distributor and they were made in Germany. Rumor has it a lot of the models are now made in Pakistan and don't have the quality they once did. Helimot won't sell them anymore. I have older pairs of Galaxys that I believe are still the ones from Germany. I've had them for years and I swear by them. I have like 3 pairs of Galaxys, one set put aside for now, so I'm good for quite awhile!! I haven't used any of the new ones, so I haven't seen what they look/feel like.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The newer Held Phantoms are rated poorly compared to the older models, and several of the other brands high end stuff.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I was looking at some different gloves at a local dealership. I noticed all the Held gloves had metal studs in the palms. I think it would be too easy to scratch your bike by just laying your hands on the tank or accidently dragging your palms across some part of the bike. I think im going to go with the A* tech glove... pricey, but hands don't come cheap. Plus my last A* Pro's held up well when i wrecked my 04 zx10. I was traveling at a fairly generous speed too hehe.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have a pair of A* GP pro's and I love them. They run a bit small so I would order one size larger then you normally wear of you go with them. I bought mine off Ebay for $80, brand new. If you're interested let me know and I can get you the sellers information, he shipped fast and the gloves are perfect.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi Nicklii,

I'm interested in buying the GP tech gloves; do you still have that ebay seller info?
Thanks.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
I think if you saw this other brand, for $235 Kangaroo skin palms... you'd change your mind :) They also have a last two finger wrap so you don't break your pinky in a fall.

KUSHITANI�@K5026�@GPR GLOVES 4

I don't think those Spidi's are worth the price their asking imo. I'd pay $100 for them but that's about it.

I just bought a new pair of Teknic leather/kevlar SP/GP style gloves for $16 new at CycleGear.. in the close-out section at their actuall store. Normally i wear an XL but these run just a tad small on me. They will probably fit great after wearing them a few weeks and the leather stretches.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts