Honda Pioneer Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I'd provide our reasoning on why we chose a Big Red over the other UTV's out there. Hopefully, this will help others in their decision making.

We will be picking our unit up next week, but were able to have some good seat time prior to purchasing. We were torn between an '09 Teryx NRA Edition and a camo Big Red. There were some big differences between the machines. The Teryx has more power and obviously feels more sporty. The Teryx appeared to be a well built machine, and has great looks in my opinion. We went with the BR because if looks, drives and behaves more like a mini Jeep than a UTV. The ride is much nicer in stock form, the interior space and ergonomics are fantastic, we feel safer in the BG, and most importantly the BG doesn't have a CVT transmission. I've known too many people bagging on their belt systems, and I too had negative feelings about belts with our old UTV. The engine braking in the BG is awesome, the machine feels incredibily stable and it looks to have a build quality that no one else can match. My gut tells me, even thou it's a first year model, that the reliability and durability of the BG will be the best in the industry. I'm by no means an expert, but the chassis and plastics appear designed to last substantially longer than the competition. The power is very adequate as a expeditionary/hunting/work vehicle, but wish it had a higher top speed since it toped out at 40. It is NOT a sport machine and wouldn't do very well at the dunes, but will be fantastic in the areas mentioned above. Then there's the looks of the front end. I had a really hard time coming to grips with a face only a mother could love. However, I feel the machine looks very nice from the side and rear when larger tires and wheels are added (which we've done). We've also added a grill guard to try and hide the face. All in all, we've always had fantastic experiences with Honda products and that played heavily into our decision. If there are any questions in the future, please don't hesitate to ask. We're picking up our machine next week and will put it to use next weekend, so I should be able to provide any potential buyer's with some feedback. Talk to you all soon!:)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm really looking forward to using this machine. We have a couple rides lined up for the month of April, one of which is a technical run with a mix of terrain. If anyone knows about AZ, we have a trail that takes you from the base of Lake Pleasant to a little town in the mountains called Crown King. Awesome trail that is challenging to say the least!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here ya go!

Had a great time in the desert today. This thing rocks! Not sporty, but man is it capable the way it's set up. Going thru water and not worrying about the belt was awesome. Fit and finish are first rate (as we'd expect from Honda). The "Big Camo" will work perfectly as an "expeditionary" vehicle and for hunting. So far, glad we got it!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks. The grill guard, windshield, plastic top were all Honda accessories. I also got the digital display and locking glove compartment. Dealer added Warn winch, extra battery and carrier, street legal kit and 26" Maxxis Big Horns on 26x9x14 and 26x11x14 ITP wheels. Clearance hasn't been a problem at all and the power is definitely adequate for th type of machine it is. It's not going to keep up with RZR S's or Teryx's, but for trail riding and hunting applications, It's perfect! I'm sooooo impressed with this machine. The fit and finish is perfection, the comfort is supurb and the transmission is light years ahead of the belt drive systems, IMHO. Not one issue so far with our "Big Camo". We love it!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks. The grill guard, windshield, plastic top were all Honda accessories. I also got the digital display and locking glove compartment. Dealer added Warn winch, extra battery and carrier, street legal kit and 26" Maxxis Big Horns on 26x9x14 and 26x11x14 ITP wheels. Clearance hasn't been a problem at all and the power is definitely adequate for th type of machine it is. It's not going to keep up with RZR S's or Teryx's, but for trail riding and hunting applications, It's perfect! I'm sooooo impressed with this machine. The fit and finish is perfection, the comfort is supurb and the transmission is light years ahead of the belt drive systems, IMHO. Not one issue so far with our "Big Camo". We love it!
Thanks for the quick reply. We just purchased a camo model yesterday and it has the plastic top and the useless wind deflector(basically just the lower part of your windshield). I like the grill guard and the wheels, the stock configuration definently needs some visual improvements. We purchased for pretty much the same reasons you did, and am not dissapointed so far. I think its a shame you have to purchase the digital meter kit seperatley. Are you satisfied with the digital meter? Do you happen to have a picture of it installed? All we really need is an hour meter to keep up with service intervals. A $200 hour meter hurts.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It is pricey, and you'd think it would be standard equipment. I don't have a pic handy, but I wouldn't be without the digital display. I love having a speedometer and hour meter built in and would purchase it again. What I find funny is, there's a warning light for "low fuel" and not an actual gas gauge on the display. However, there's a gauge on the fuel tank. In reality, it's not a big deal since you do have a warning light on the display, but why have a warning light in the cab and have to go out to the fuel cap to check the actual level of fuel. Kinda funny!

Hope you enjoy your new toy as much as we have!

·
Registered
3 Posts
yes its ugly,I have had mine since 10/31/09 ,plenty of power,runs about 40 mph,goes any where you want to go,get the honda winch it has alot of power,We just got back from redbird s.r.a in dugger indiana and it done great this place has some nasty trail if you wont to climb them

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.