Honda Pioneer Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I like a neat and organized toolbox but have yet to find 'the' method.

I tried layouts like I do with wrenches (seems to waste space)
Socket trays of varying types. the gray pictured is my favorite but does not work with deep wells well and is not available at sears anymore. The tray is Ok but seems waste to much real estate in the drawer (plus because of pre-chosen sizes it is hard to tell what is missing)

So what do y'all use?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Jesus man, have you ever used those tools?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hear ya, I've got stuff strewn everywhere, but I have no solution. :p All the tools I need for the bike are kept in one toolbox on wheels, so it can easily be rolled in and out of the trailer. I just keep them all in there, and roll it in the garage as needed, because I don't want to purchase doubles of everything. Kinda a pain, though. But more of a pain to pack up needed tools for the track each time I go.

·
Registered
175 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Buy foam block and cut your own. This way you can arrange as necessary to save space. Plus, since you cut only for what you have, a quick glance will tell you what tools haven't been put away or have been swiped by unruly pit buddies.

Sears has it, but you can find it cheaper at most craft shops.

·
Registered
175 Posts
SomeStrangeGuy said:
oh - or exactly what LTL posted above :D those things rock...
:)

Yeah, I dig them. Pick a color for metric, one for standard and it's sorted.

The shop I worked at had several types, but I liked those the best.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
HondaGalToo said:
I hear ya, I've got stuff strewn everywhere, but I have no solution. :p All the tools I need for the bike are kept in one toolbox on wheels, so it can easily be rolled in and out of the trailer. I just keep them all in there, and roll it in the garage as needed, because I don't want to purchase doubles of everything. Kinda a pain, though. But more of a pain to pack up needed tools for the track each time I go.
That one was in the garage with me and Kelvin :idunno: I just roll the box up into the sheep hauler and strap it in. That way I have most of my stuff (the air tools and non-mechanical stuff is in another roll around that stays in the garage).

Oh and yes I ALWAYS need more tools :) That is the only thing that bothers me with the foam cut outs is that I will get more stuff and need a new foam :(

·
Registered
49 Posts
For sockets, I like the cheap craftsman metal racks with the spring thingy the socket presses on to. I cut the handles off and pop rivit them to 2" wide, 1/8" aluminum plate cut the same length. Make a seperate one for each rack and wala, the stand up, they dont rattle out of holes or slots in transport, and you can easly grab the whole rack to take to the job at hand. Mark the size with a marker or metal stamp and your set.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Got the same socket holder as you. For the wrenches, Sears has a "rack" item that you can clip them in and still fits in the 1-1.5" drawer.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=00947046000&subcat=Wrenches
Been looking at their screwdriver holders too. Damn things keep rollin around in there.

What do you mean they don't sell them anymore????

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=00965172000&subcat=Tool+Storage+Accessories

Red too....

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=00965165000&subcat=Tool+Storage+Accessories

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wrong grey I like the socket racks since you can put them together they are still listed on the Sears site but they don't stock them (and I hate ordering from Sears)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have a few opinions on this topic

for the wrenches I find these guys are always a great option just cut to fit the number of wrenches and stick them down
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&tool=all&item_ID=709&group_ID=3225&store=canada&dir=catalog

And for sockets you can't go wrong with these guys, no having to force them on or pull them off of a rail and the size is marked on the top of the peg, but you do need a deeper drawer or a box that has a top that opens up.
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&tool=all&item_ID=15169&group_ID=2461&store=canada&dir=catalog

LTL choice above is great too cuz they are magnetic and the allow you to keep the deep sockets in a shallow drawer.

But I might be biased since I sell the stuff.:thumb:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
For sockets I have these plastic thingys with holes cut for each socket and the base is magnetic from Snapon... I really like them because you can grab a socket or the whole thing and drop it on any other metal, plus it holds the sockets on the side of my toolbox. I don't have any pictures of mine since my toolbox and most of my tools are 2500 miles away at my mother's house :crying:(long story). But it looks like the attached picture from Snapon.

·
Registered
175 Posts
BladeRider said:
But it looks like the attached picture from Snapon.
Yeah, it's a "Blue Point", which I believe Snap On distributes.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I've had trouble in the past with the magnetic ones making my sockets magnetic... :cool:

[tangentjack]
This reminds me of a cheap tool that should be in everyone's box... Wiha Mag/Demag... They are handy little dammits... :nod:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts