Honda Pioneer Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Had a friend of mine that did not like the size of it once on his bike. Since I have a KLR with a rather large (useless) dash area, and am always looking for opportunity to destroy expensive electronic items I figured it would be a good shot. The side benefit of being able to figure out if I really am where I planned on being is a nice fringe benefit as well.

The model is formally:Touratech Locking MvG Mount for Garmin Streetpilot 2610, 2620, 2720, 2730 Part Number: 065-0068

Haven't put it on the bike, but did install the 2610 into it so I could get a few photos for y'all. Although this is a crossbar mounted style (great for handlebars - not so great for clipons) the holes on the bottom do correspond with a RAM arm #065-0040 according to the site.

Enjoy the pics...this thing is a work of art :)

http://www.cycoactive.com/gps/tt26.html

·
Registered
49 Posts
Touratech makes some nice stuff indeed, its pretty much manditory shooping for BMW adventure riders. Hey, I forgot you had the KLR, do you ever spend time ovr at ADVrider.com? The forum is a little screwey this week as they are moving servers, but its a great site for adventure bikes.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Threadjack:

G-Force: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107023

Reply and tell him he should switch to FullText search (was added with vB 3.5) and it'll cut way down on the load searches cause. It'll also eliminate the need to reindex and he can clear up some database space that the old vBulletin search indexes used. Also tell him to edit each usergroup permission and only allow them permission to the Natural Language Search, as Boolean uses tons of CPU.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Your speaking greek to me...but I will pass it on and appricate the help:thumb: They claim to have bitching servers...but the sited lags prequentaly, they say it cant be avoided, too many users and such. WHo knows what the truth is.

ConqSoft said:
Threadjack:

G-Force: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107023

Reply and tell him he should switch to FullText search (was added with vB 3.5) and it'll cut way down on the load searches cause. It'll also eliminate the need to reindex and he can clear up some database space that the old vBulletin search indexes used. Also tell him to edit each usergroup permission and only allow them permission to the Natural Language Search, as Boolean uses tons of CPU.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the links GF, I haven't actually seen happy-trail before, mostly dual-star and ebay. Though admittedly, I ride the killer on the street mostly, 60mpg is hard to beat in that respect. Then again, I mostly bought the GPS mount with the hope that it might actually get me on the KLR more cause as it is, seems I never have time for it :(.

Now I'll be out goofing around in the snow with it instead of upgrading the forks like I should be :D

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bake: Loving the 2610. Been using it in the cage only but as you know I did do a ~3000 mile trip with it on week 3 of ownership and it was great.

A friend of mine bought a 276 at the same time, and I'll say for dedicated (adventure) bike use - the 276 is pretty handy. It has a few features like backtrack, huge screen, etc. that make it nice to use for that sort of thing. Though the 276 (as it ships) is a bit limited for full car use. I haven't used the 276 in all the situations that I have the 2610 (only seen the 276 on my friends klr as we went riding) and as stated - for *only* that purpose - the 276 would probably rule. But if you want a good true road/bike/travelling gps the 26 is your man.

The 2610 has less features as far as the trailblazing stuff goes, but the POI stuff, and the fact that it melds nicely into the cage cockpit, has a quick/easy to learn touch screen/gui, and nevermind the city navigation stuff - top notch. Though if I were buying now I would probably look at the 2730. I like the 3d mapping (in some instances) and the 30 adds some more geekdom on. The new RV units are cool as heck, but I don't need that much clutter in the ride and have never had a problem seeing the 2610 in any condition or time of day.

Oh and things not mentioned...I had the 26 in Phoenix after I drove out there. Left it with the GF and gave me a decent piece of mind...and naturally an excuse to buy a new model :D.

I came back and checked out the Magellans, the design pissed me off, the lameness and overall function - I dunno, just don't care for them very much.
Ever used Neverlost®? You'll get to feel that whole rectal car experience every day...that same vanilla, cheesy, delicate, 'moron-proof' appearance. I dunno, the Garmin seems to be able to get uber-technical with the push of a button if you want it - and the rest of the time assumes your smart. The Magellan, I dunno - I just don't like them.

TomTom - eh, looks like a Garmin ripoff, and includes free "WTF" pricing. They have lame names for their models, and strange features that are too much like technology for the sake of technology for my liking. Which while being a swiss army knife is good - you're not going to change a timing belt with it. Most of the things that the TT has are things I'd rather just leave to other components or can deal with just plain not having.

End result: Kept the 26, for what I paid and what it did - there really wasn't any good reason to upgrade.

One fringe benefit (not for me, but like everything else I own - a benefit for outers) is that I can safely hand the Garmin over to just about anyone, and with a 5 minute class they're on the road and back. I've loaned it out a couple times and to the people that previously said "why do you need a gps can't you use a map" are now asking me if I see any good deals on it to let them know.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I also just ordered the new mapsource upgrade for it. It is currently running v6.9 Mapsoure/CityNavigator.

Another weird note - garmin has discontinued all 26's except for the 2610...they still produce and issue firmware updates as recent as 12/6/05 for it. I was impressed considering they have even discontinued certain 27's as well now I think.

G

·
The 2610 owners I've talked to seem pretty happy. If I didn't need marine capability, I would probably own one... :twocents:

Good write up, but I'm a bit pissed now because I "think" I need to upgrade my version of MapSource... :rotfl:

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bake - you can be a 2610 owner soon :smilebig:

Updates:

-nope, still running old MapSource :D

-anyone here actually USE a 2730 in the apparatus above? Looks like its mostly the same - but a few different appendages...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Baketech said:
Good write up, but I'm a bit pissed now because I "think" I need to upgrade my version of MapSource... :rotfl:
You can upgrade the software version from downloads via their site. Kinda hard to find, but they're there. Doesn't update the maps though.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ND4SPD said:
You can upgrade the software version from downloads via their site. Kinda hard to find, but they're there. Doesn't update the maps though.
Actually it lets you download whatever you want - but good luck cracking that key without paying your 75$ for the code ;)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I readapted my touratech mount to work on (my 2720) on the ZX10, but after all that fussing it takes up alot of room in the cockpit so I think im going to get a RAM mount (I think is what I have seen some others around here with).

Summary: The above mount is absolute overkill for an I4 machine. On the thumper it is definetely due.

Now that I've had it on the bike it's going to be interesting to see the looks on peoples faces when they click on the 'trip computer' screen as its sitting in my ridgeline :eyebrows:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts