Honda Pioneer Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone had problems with the big red drivetrain? this past weekend mine started acting up. you give it gas and it bearly moves. the engine revs up , but no go. it almoat seems like a belt slipping or a cluch going out. since the br has neither of these i am a little puzzled. dealership opens tommorrow, so i guess i will see what they have to say.

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
Is it happening all the time or only when it is cold? I find mine needs a little extra gas to get going when I first start it up but once it is up to normal operating temps it runs fine. Usually only takes a minute or so.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Mine is acting up too I'm going run some test on it tonight but I did a quick oil pressure test last night and saw the oil pressure was low but I'm going to check the pressure closer to the oil pump and it should put out like 120psi I hope my oil pump isn't taking a crap on me and the big reds do have clutches they have three of them to be exact one for every gear but I doubt it them slipping I be it's more an oil pressure problem mine is not wanting to shift into second and third

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it is doing it all the time. i started it up to give it a quick wash this evening and it would not even move. not good. i thought an oil pressure problem also. the salesman when i bought the br told me the tranny was "maintence free." how do you like that. upon my own investigation i found out the motor oil is also the tranny oil. no wonder why it holds so much oil. all i really care about is warranty.

·
Registered
117 Posts
well i got mine fixed tonight i did alot of looking and checking and came to found out that one of the throttle position wires were almost broke in fact as soon as i touched it broke in half but yours sounds like a serious oil pressure problem if it quite moving all together sounds like your oil pump chain might have came off. I got a question did you ever put any additives in your oil? had a buddy that added sea foam to his oil one time and it would make the clutches slip bad to where it wouldn't move but i would bring it to a dealer if its under warranty if not give me a call and i'll see if i can figure out whats wrong with it if you feel like making a trip over the basin...lol but my cell is 337-280-5535

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i used the high dollar oil that honda sold me on my first change. i did not use any additives. i assume it is under warranty. i did put that lift kit on, but i am running the 26 tires the dealership installed. the oil pressure or tranny have absolutely nothing to do with the lift, but you know how they can me sometimes. i will let you know and thanks for the offer, i may take you up on it depending what friendly tells me.

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
well i got mine fixed tonight i did alot of looking and checking and came to found out that one of the throttle position wires were almost broke in fact as soon as i touched it broke in half....
Where was the break in the cable? Better yet do you have any pics of what broke. Has me wondering as I don't want to get into a bind back in the country.

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
i used the high dollar oil that honda sold me on my first change. i did not use any additives. i assume it is under warranty. i did put that lift kit on, but i am running the 26 tires the dealership installed. the oil pressure or tranny have absolutely nothing to do with the lift, but you know how they can me sometimes. i will let you know and thanks for the offer, i may take you up on it depending what friendly tells me.
Good luck at the dealer and let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
dealer says uni air filter has no oil which caused dirt to get into the engine. this caused the piston rings to wear which caused oil to burn. lack of oil caused the transmission problems. so the tranny is fine now that there is sufficient oil in the engine. dealer says the engine burining oil is my problem and want $700 to tell me how much damage was done to piston, rings, cylinder, etc. br was not smoking when it was giving me problems. br runs know and shows no sign of power lose, but it is smoking because of the burning oil. it has about 50 hours and 400 miles. the uni filter was cleaned about every 10-15 hours. it was put on at first oil change which was 26 hours. dealer says i should clean filter every time i use the br. i think it is bs that dirt caused that much wear that fast. i wanted to pull a joe peshi on lethal weapon 2 when they got fu&@ed at the drive through. i told them i will let them know tommorrow. if i need to rebuild then i may as well do a big bore kit. any thoughts???

·
Registered
117 Posts
I just did a rincon with a 715 kit for $800 parts and labor I don't see why I can't match that price for a big red

·
Registered
27 Posts
is there any sensor on the br for shifting it seems every time i pressure wash mine it acts like it dont want want to shift untill you ride it around for a little bit then starts shifting fine

·
Registered
20 Posts
I found with my Rincon ,2003. That you really have to warm the engine and then it runs fine. I have been doing this with BR and works fine. If I try to move it with out warming it up it does not move quickly. Same with dept 2010Atv Rincon.

·
Registered
41 Posts
jhyde: You asked if there are any sensors on Big Red that affect shifting, their are a few; gear position switch, shift solenoid valve B, A/T clutch PC solenoid, gear position switch, TP sensor and shift solenoid valve A. They are all located in different areas of the engine, one of the electrical connectors may be getting wet causing it to short out, witch one and how they all work, hell if I know!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
What codes are you getting, I have one in the shop that the customer says that it goes along and then it will not go, it is full of oil. it is has stored codes of 15-1, and 16-1, which are shorted "a, & b " soleniods, we reset the codes and it is running ok around the shop.

some help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks Tom........

·
Registered
123 Posts
I had a stick come up and break the reverse and neutral wires near the switch. The only issue I had was that I couldn't start the BR unless I stepped on the brake. It would display a "-" unless in drive. Not problems what so ever with the transmission.

I did have some issues when I changed the oil to synthetic, Golden Spectra. I filled it to the recommended amount and as soon as the transmission shifted from second to third it would slip. I ended up putting more oil in it and now it works fine. It seams like the BR does not like to be low on oil, guess that's not a bad thing. I also don't think you could do any damage to the engine due to low oil as the transmission will slip long before that happens.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.