Honda Pioneer Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in an area with extremely dusty conditions 10 months a year. There are 5 Big Reds in the immediate area. We use them daily and for several hours a day. We are currently having problems with dust plugging the air filters within a couple of days of cleaning. The problem has been when the filter becomes plugged, dirt bypasses into the engine breather tube that pushes against the side of the filter. We have lost two engines this month from this problem.
First-Does anyone know of a paper filter that will fit the Big Red. Cleaning oil filters every couple of days sucks.
Second- Does anyone know of an after market prefilter system, similiar to the old dust bowl type used on farm equipment, or any other prefilter system to cut down on the dust entering the filter box.
Third-Has anyone done a reroute of the filter box inlet to cut down on the dust.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Wow, I would be writing letters to Honda of America and providing Vin #’s and info. If what you say is true this would raise the level of importance to them.

To the rest of your questions, I am unaware of anything then the stock set up :(

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
I know a guy who sealed his air box and add a snorkel to his bike. The snorkel ran up between the bed and the roll cage. If you were to do this you maybe able to add any aftermarket paper filter in a custom box mounted higher up and hopefully out of the dust some.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Wow that sucks big time, Sounds like recall time for a Honda upgrade to the air box. Please call or write them and keep us all posted. :mad:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update on the engines. One is able to be repaired, the other will be replaced. The dealership is going to add a drop tube and a small filter for the engine breather. Will still be contained in the filter box.

I'm also going to try to look into building a snorkel setup, and I see some others are looking at the same thing.

Honda may come up with a different fix but I wouldn't expect to see one very soon.

These are the newer Big Reds Muv 700's.

In the mean time when cleaning your air filters make sure you get the filter placed firmly against the breather tube before you tighten the retaining clamp.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Install a prefilter system, I have no idea what the layout of the Big Red air intake system looks like but I am sure their is a way to filter the air before it even enters the air box, use a serviceable filter like a UNI filter, if done right it will take years of dusty rides before the main filter in the air box will need changed and the inside of your air box will be nice and clean because your removing the majority of the dirt before it enters the air box.

I have done this on my Honda Pilot and Polaris RZR works great in severe dusty conditions. Here is some examples Pilot Prefilter and Airbox Modification by hoser..
PilotOdyssey.com :: View topic - Prefilter Mod By hoser.. RZR

·
Registered
148 Posts
i am waiting on my br which should be finished any day now. i had 290 miles with about 50 miles and had to do a complete rebuild. hopefully i will get more life out of this engine.

DUST SUCKS

·
Registered
3 Posts
i am waiting on my br which should be finished any day now. i had 290 miles with about 50 miles and had to do a complete rebuild. hopefully i will get more life out of this engine.

DUST SUCKS
The stock air filter should be able to protect your engine under all normal operating conditions like riding in a cloud of dust following your buddy.

I would be nagging HONDA to repair your engine at their cost.

Adding the mod like I post a link to before or something similar will increase the service life of your filter and as a side benefit help keep dirt out of your engine because less will reach your air box.

Can someone post pictures of the air box and filter setup of this machine my local dealer has never had one of these for me to go look at.

Polaris had filter system problems and bought a bunch of engine rebuilds for its customers, my experience with HONDA has always been good in the air filter department they have never failed me makes me wonder if their is a design problem or if they forgot to oil the filter before delivery.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I live in an area with extremely dusty conditions 10 months a year. There are 5 Big Reds in the immediate area. We use them daily and for several hours a day. We are currently having problems with dust plugging the air filters within a couple of days of cleaning. The problem has been when the filter becomes plugged, dirt bypasses into the engine breather tube that pushes against the side of the filter. We have lost two engines this month from this problem.
First-Does anyone know of a paper filter that will fit the Big Red. Cleaning oil filters every couple of days sucks.
Second- Does anyone know of an after market prefilter system, similiar to the old dust bowl type used on farm equipment, or any other prefilter system to cut down on the dust entering the filter box.
Third-Has anyone done a reroute of the filter box inlet to cut down on the dust.
put a snorkel on it . makes all the difference. i had same trouble. air filter hardly need cleaned some times now. cams are also a weak spot

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.