Honda Pioneer Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked one up this weekend at the track. Vemar VSR. Fit is nice and the ventilation seems better than my RF900. I do like the ability to remove the padding and clean it occasionally, the Shoei did not have that ability. I especially like the screen, NO FOG whatsoever. It does have DOT and ECE certification. Hope this is good for Grattan.

·
Registered
21 Posts
check the FBOdays info. Ab posted stuff about helmets in there.

nice looking helmet. they seem like pretty nice helmets. removable washable liners are nice.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mike Wheeler (LDH) gave them a raving review. Supposed to be a hell of a deal for the price... Sportbike Track Time is running some crazy pricing on them right now.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hammer - I think you convinced me. Thanks for the link. I've been looking for a new lid, and almost committed to a Scorpian, then found the HJC CL-SP, and now the Vemar VSR.

Maybe I should put it up for the .orgers - ala Chain - to decide.

BTW, How loud is it at speed ?? and does it flow air better than average ???

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Seemed fairly good as far as noise, but as with any helment the more air flow the more noise will be a factor. Sweat of put in ear plugs.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okay, did you go off the sizing chart (head by cm's) and what helmet size did you wear on previous compared to Vemar ?

I'm going to drop some coin on this tomorrow.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My old helment was a Shoei RF 900 XL but it was a little loose, I bought it at the track so I was able to try it on for size before I bought it. I ended up getting a large in the Vemar. I would say it is close to Shoei sizing except for the fit in the top is a little shorter like an Arai. The shield has not fogged up yet, that is a big plus.

·
Registered
76 Posts
After a full track test with my new Scorpion I wish I could have purchased a few more at the price I paid. As it is, I'll probably pick up another one at their incredibly outrageous full price of ~$200 soon for a backup/shared time helmet.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I bought a Vemar and now it sits in my closet, gathering dust. It is unbelievably loud. I mean, I still get wind noise even when wearing earplugs. LOUD, LOUD, LOUD. It's light, fairly comfortable, but I can't stand it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
eeeeek said:
I bought a Vemar and now it sits in my closet, gathering dust. It is unbelievably loud. I mean, I still get wind noise even when wearing earplugs. LOUD, LOUD, LOUD. It's light, fairly comfortable, but I can't stand it.
Buy a windjammer ;)

I just ordered mine, and will give a full review when I receive it. Most of all, a big THANK YOU to Sportbiketrackgear and Brian - so far SOOOOO GOOOOOD!

edit:> had to change name, thought Brian, typed Mike :googly:

To below- Yes, wait 'til I drop the story on this, above and beyond in my opinion.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Brian w/ Sportbike track gear is who I bought mine off of as well. Excellent customer service, I had a few cracks verry small in the clear screen and give him a call he sent another out no charge with no questions at all.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Okay, I'll save my praise for Brian and sportbiketrackgear for the vendor reviews, suffice to say I'm pleased.

Now for the Vemar.

Ups-

1st striking reality: This is absolutely the lightest helmet I have ever felt. How does it feel on my head? Non-existent. Chalk it up to the fact they used some light materials in the fabrication - Ultra-light Carbon/Dyneema/fiberglass shell - and also it is not snell rated, which according to various wordy sources sometimes causes up to 1 lb. being added to the total weight of the helmet.

Check how it compares here:
Motorcycle Helmet Weights - webBikeWorld

The viewport is wide, and you have great unimpeded peripheral vison with this helmet. In fact, for the first time with a helmet using a clear shield, I decided to use a "sunblocker" strip at the top of the visor to shade my eyes, and even with this my front view is huge!

The breath deflector and chin skirt are removable, so I removed them. The shield is treated with an anti-fog, and as far as I can tell, it works. Of course, I haven't tested it in true chilly weather yet...

Now, for all those in HOT climates, this thing flows AIR. Not just flows it, but swirls it around your head in the most refreshing way. :rotfl: No seriously, we've had triple digit weather lately, and as long as I'm moving, my head stays relatively cool, as if I only had on a baseball cap (if I were so inclined).

The vents are easy to work, and while the visor change system isn't the easiest I've used, it's a fairly simple one hand release, and two hand fasten.

Now for the not so good:

Once I removed the chin curtain and breath deflector, what is normally the inner coating is actually some type of EPS liner/ rubber piece, and it moved around a little freely. Mind you, I don't believe it would fall out, but a little glue gun action was in order. This also happened to the helmet they sent to Vemar VSR Helmet Evaluation
so I think the way this liner is made is the chin curtain and breath deflector anchor the thing in securely. Nothing a little 3M tape wouldn't cure.

Also, this thing is as loud as an HJC. People have said this was a loud helmet, but it's not even close to unbearable. It doesn't have the booming low intensity sound from air entering under the helmet, and it doesn't have that annoying high intensity whistle sometimes caused by vents, just the flowing air sound.

Looks are subjective, but it must be eye catching because at a stoplight the other day....nah, forget it, I'm happily married. I have the VSR Chrome red pictured below. Better pictures are at the links provided.

Anyway, these things are being discontinued stateside (and are the hot-ticket for $160), so try to find someplace that still carries them, sportbike track gear still has some, and the sizing for them is also on his site:

Sportbike Track Gear

As good as this helmet is, I would have settled for the blue, grey, or grey graphic if they didn't have a red one, but after some begging (j/k) Brian came through with his last red one...

Vemar Motorcycle Helmet - webBikeWorld

You won't regret it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I too have the helmet; Same color (and probably same size-Large right?). I bought it a couple of weeks ago.

It is difficult for me to say whether the helmet is "good" because the term is relative, and seeing as how this is my first helmet I don't really have any thing to compare it to. Apparently this is quite light according to the testamonial.

My own personal thoughts about the helmet:

- For a thing of THAT size on my head with all its protective materials and designs, I must say, relative to baseball helmets, its great.

- The graphics are sexy. I dig the chrome tilted sprocket design (its what sold me)

- I have a large, round cranium. When I bite down my temple muscles bulge into firm parts of the helmet making it a bit uncomfortable. As it stays on my head though, it is still a bit too "tight" around the temples. This is my main qualm with the helmet

- Noise seems to be quite audible with the helmet on. I haven't dared to reach triple digits yet (I'm just learning how to ride), but I can surely foresee a linear relationship with speed and noise level in the helmet

- The mouth lever thing (that lets air in and out from your mouth) seems a little flimsy, but all others have a quality feel to them

Overall I'm quite satisfied. I've give it 4/5.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts