Honda Pioneer Forums banner

Veypor VR2 w/ Heads up display (HUD)?

4K views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  arcticfox 
G
#1 · (Edited)
Hey all....

WWW.Veypor.com

I realize the Veypor has been discussed in multiple threads... but I haven't read much in the forums about the newer VR2 and heads up display. (I've read the internet stuff - I'm hoping to find someone who owns/uses one)

Is there anyone out there who has had experiece with the HUD?

Does it work? Any Problems? Is it easy to read? Does it look totally huge and stupid mounted on the helmet? Does the unit stay put on the helmet?

:thumb: or :thumbd: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:

G
#5 · (Edited)
I've been testing a Sportvue these past months for a review on my site.

Here's what I've found.

The install was much more simple than it looks. You just need to take your time and follow the instructions. The Sportvue site has pretty good information on the best places to hook it up to your bike. Among other things, you will need to mount the speed sensor to the rear tire and swing arm. This gives a pretty accurate speed reading as it doesn't matter if you change the gear ratio.

You'll need to permanently mount a clip to your visor. This will hold the removable heads up unit. After a few adjustments, the LCD screen is easily viewable in most lighting conditions. Bright sunlight is its only problem area, but I have only tried it using a tinted shield. The digits were still visible even in the bright sun through the tint, but not as crisp.

Everything seems to work great, except I'm still having trouble calibrating the gear indicator. I've got it pretty close and for the most part it works great. There are still certain RPM ranges that seem to make the gear indicator display the wrong gear. I'm getting close and I think my next attempt at the learning procedure should do the trick.

The unit I have displays your speed, gear and RPM. The RPM appears as a bar across the top of the display. The shift indicators appear on the left and right. My unit also has a radar detector option, but I currently don't use a detector so I have yet to see how it works.

All in all it's a pretty cool system. If you can get passed the big heads up display unit sticking to your visor, I think that you'll find the unit is pretty useful for day to day riding. I found it nice to be able to keep my head up and view the screen rather than dip my head down to the gauges. I didn't look at it much during more spirited rides, but for around town and leisurely riding it's pretty handy. I find that I don't notice it much until I ride without it. It's pretty handy for looking at speed, but other than that I get most of the information I need about the bike, from the bike. :)

G
#6 ·
hmmm, i'm not liking it. i think i know what my bikes doing by feel and sight.i'd like to read what some of the members of this site who are pilots that use a H.U.D. have to say about it before final judgement about buying one though.

G
#7 ·
Well..... I've ordered the VR2. (They actually tried to deliever it yesterday.... I'll get it tomorrow) I figured I wanted to get the computer end installed and working correctly first, and then if everything worked out.... I'd try the HUD. (still not shure about the unit sticking out of my helmet...)

I guess my main reasons for ordering it being.... the ocassional time I accidently shift into first--- VR2 instead of getting an accumen, and not having an accurate speedo. (I have extra teeth in the rear...)

As soon as I get it installed, I'll post my impressions also.

G
#8 · (Edited)
o.k... well, this morning I dove head first into the VR2 install.... almost done!

My first impressions..... cool back-lit indiglo, RED shift light is HELLA bright!, unit made extremely well, included RAM mount is super well-made, buttons are well sealed and easy to use.... I'm blown away!

For starters, the VR2 is designed to work on ALL motorcycles.... so they leave it up to you to dig in the 2002 Honda 954RR service manual and find the correct wires.

For kicks, I started by taking off ALL the plastic - including the front fairing. (I realize now, there is a way around this...but hey! Its fun to learn new things!)

Step #1 --- pull off all the plastic for easier access (front fairing not necessary)

Step #2 --- pull off the seat and prop up the gas tank with the seat/tank kick stand

Step #3 --- install the RAM mount below your upper tripple/connected to the front fork tube (or where-ever you wanted it mounted)

Step #4 --- route the wire harness through your bike....I simply followed the route of the main wiring harness on the right side of the bike...(under the right air intake)

Step #5 --- Connect power.... connect Black wire to the negative battery connector. (easy part) Red/Positive wire was a little tricky.... if connected to the battery - the unit always stays on...so, they ask you to hunt for a hot wire that transmits 12V when the ignition switch is on... directly behind the battery is a thin wire/connector combo - I believe this to be the hot wire traveling back to the tanks/fuel pump...(either way, I verfied it had 12V power with a multi-meter) perfect - the VR2 is now connected to the kill switch... hense the power can be on, with the VR2 off... pretty cool! Also, since the VR2 is not connected to any running light power (i.e. rear running light) - the headlight-running light fuses can be disconnected on track-days to kill all the juice going to the lights - and NOT kill the VR2... even sweeter!

Step #6 --- connect RPM sensor wire to the digital tachometer... (you can also choose to use a coil lead wire with another wire included on the VR2 wire-harness - but didn't want to pull the air-box, etc.) So... the hint is the Yellow W/ Green stripe wire located in the main wire harness... this can be found under the right air intake vent - above the right turn signal.... This main harness also continues on and connects to the tack behind the front fairing. (this is where I decided to connect in since I had the front fairing off - this ended up looking really clean... you can't see any connecting wires to the VR2 -- I did have to peal back the main wire harness black wrapping, splice in, and then re-electrical tape the harness) --- oh, the VR2 kit includes wire splicers...nice touch - you don't have to cut any wires - just tap into them...

Step #7 --- Everything is working beautifully.... last step - connect the sensor wire & magnet to the rear wheel with epoxy & included super glue... I will accomplish this task tomorrow! (hope to follow the rear brake line, and hide the senor behind the rear swingarm - with the magnet located on the inner part of the brake rotor... (hopefully this will work....) The other way being... mounting you magnet on the sproket --- I would like to be able to swap sprokets and not replace the magnet.... i.e. I'm trying the brake rotor mounting method....

#9 ·
LUCIDDREAM57 said:
hmmm, i'm not liking it. i think i know what my bikes doing by feel and sight.i'd like to read what some of the members of this site who are pilots that use a H.U.D. have to say about it before final judgement about buying one though.
I'm staying away from it. There just isn't enough info that I need that I can't get from a millisecond glance just below the windscreen. The HUD in the AH64D gives ground speed/altitude/rate of climb/wind direction/direction to next waypoint/azimuth/torque%/pitch/bank angle/rate of turn/and a bunch of sensor and other information all while placing the FLIR video right behind the symbology.

Maybe if the HUD could overlay the best race line or tell me if the driver next to me is going to cut me off.

#10 ·
seamus said:
....The HUD in the AH64D gives ground speed/altitude/rate of climb/wind direction/direction to next waypoint/azimuth/torque%/pitch/bank angle/rate of turn/and a bunch of sensor and other information all while placing the FLIR video right behind the symbology....
Isn't that classified? Are you gonna have to kill us now?

G
#12 · (Edited)
O.k.... just finished the project this morning....

Let me say that attaching the speed sensor to the swing arm took FOREVER.... I would reccommend not even bothering with the included super glue --- go right for the epoxy. (or maybe use the super glue to help hold it in place while the epoxy dries)

interesting note: the sensor only works on one side, the magnet only works on one side also (the sensor and magnet are polarized)....also... the 2 have to be extremely close. The manual says a max of .8" - but my setup needed more....it just won't register any speed info until the 2 were extremely close.

I ended up epoxying the magnet to the inside face of the rear brake disk...(I mounted it right next to one of the brake disk bolts) and then the sensor was epoxyed to the back side of the swing-arm.... tight, tight, fit.

All in all..... not sure how useful this unit would be on the track (although the split-track times with the track-side transmitter would be pretty cool on ocassional track-days --- not to mention the data logging and being able to display the info later on a computer....) But.... on the street - this is going to be alot of fun. I decided to get this instead of the Acumen.... Also, per re-gearing... my speedo is way off.... and this shows me my gear & gives me accurate speed info.

As soon as it gets warm here... I'll write back my thoughts on practical use...

Hopefully, if the computer end works well - I'll add the HUD...

o.k., o.k., I'll admit it - its Michigan, its cold, can't ride.... might as well work on the bike!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.