Honda Pioneer Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I have tried latex gloves under my regular riding glove: no dice, fingertips turned blue after a 1 hour ride.
One quarter of my riding is done in the cold so I want to get some budget minded cold weather gloves.
Any recommendations?
Not particular about brand, as long as they are not flashy or bulky.

-Thomas

· Registered
134 Posts
You definately don't want to go with latex. You want something that allows your skin to breath. Warmth comes by trapping a layer of air next your skin. Then your body heat warms that layer of air. The layer of warm air then acts as an insulator for your hands. You want to use a glove that allows for a small layer of air (so not extremely tight) and that will be windproof to prevent the replacement of your layer of warm with a fresh layer of cold air from the outside.

Many gloves that are labeled as "insulated" should work for you. I have used some of my ski gloves with good success. Other ski gloves don't have very good grip and slip on the clutch lever. There are many good winter MC specific gloves available. Check your favorite online retailer.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have Joe Rocket Balistic gloves and they work well for me. I have rode in 30 degree weather and they get cold but we don't see much of that in this part of California, and they are pretty affordable too.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmm, the only liners I have seen are silk, is that what you are referring to?

Slickwill, thanks for the technical explanation, it makes perfect sense.

Ill have a look at the Joe Rocket Ballistic gloves, quick search shows they are very well priced.

Thanks all.

-Thomas

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The only way I've ever found to handle below freezing rides is to wear the most formidible winter gloves I could find (I have a very old and well worn pair of Tourmasters, I think they were from before there was even Cortech) with a pair of thin wool knit gloves worn underneath. Old hiking wisdom applied to riding.

Gloves are manufactured that are electrically heated, as well as vests and other stuff. I have no idea how you would plug any of that crap into a sportbike.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
At cabelas or several hunting/ fishing places they sell liners. They are silvery and white. I have used these for years. You do need to have your gloves a little large so its not to tite. to tite and it wont help.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ahh, thanks, I will check that out tonight.

At cabelas or several hunting/ fishing places they sell liners. They are silvery and white. I have used these for years. You do need to have your gloves a little large so its not to tite. to tite and it wont help.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Check this out. I put a pair on my bike last year. Work well and have enough warmth to take the edge off on the cold days. Great price too, $33 shipped to my door. Just another thought other than bulky gloves.

Warm Hands

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
For the money: get some heated grips. I've got some Oxford heated grips that wrap over the standard grip and they work very well - you can take them off when the weather warms up and ride normally.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all your input... I took the easiest route and got some gloves through my work: Alpinestars ST-1, cheap and cheerful.
I rode yesterday to the tune of 250km total, and with the temp just above freezing (5 deg C) the gloves are a bare minimum I would want.
Yes, my hands got cold but not to the point of being unbearable.
Nonetheless they are a world better than my summer gloves.
Considering price I am glad I got them.

In regards to the grip warmers: did you guys install them on your sport bikes?
If so, are they easily installed and concealed?

-Thomas

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
In regards to the grip warmers: did you guys install them on your sport bikes?
If so, are they easily installed and concealed?

-Thomas
I installed a set of the grip warmers (linked in my previous post above) on my TRACK BIKE and they work great. They go on right under your existing grips(assuming you can get them off without destroying them) and have a simple toggle switch you can mount anywhere. I mounted my switch on the front of my top triple clamp, glued in place.

Yeah I know that grip warmers shouldn't be on a race machine, but it gets very cold in the early spring and late fall in the mornings and my hands were absolutely in so much pain after I got off my bike that I needed somthing. Bulky gloves wear not an option. I need that movement in my hands and wrists. Besides I don't like to change too many things about the feel(I seem to have this working good).
I figured crashing, because I couldn't feel the bars, was worse than the extra weight.(the whole package weighs about 8.oz) :smilebig:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.