Honda Pioneer Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to those of you who took action on this matter, WE WIN!!!

HATCH VOTES FOR AMENDMENT TO BAR USE OF ANTIQUITIES ACT TO CREATE NATIONAL MONUMENTS

WASHINGTON – Sen. Orrin Hatch, R-Utah, voted late Thursday for an amendment that would bar the Obama administration from misusing the 1906 Antiquities Act to create large new national monuments in Utah and eight other states.

Introduced by Sen. Jim DeMint, R-S.C., the amendment was defeated by a 58-38 margin. Hatch was disappointed at the outcome.

“America’s public lands belong to the people, not to government officials and environmental extremists,” Hatch said. “Decisions about Cedar Mesa, the San Rafael and other potential monument sites should be made in consultation with state and local officials in Utah, not behind closed doors in Washington and without any public input.”

More here . . . http://hatch.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=PressReleases.Detail&PressRelease_id=0bdaced4-1b78-be3e-e0cf-c4a34e005bdd&Month=2&Year=2010

Subscribe to BRC Recreation News here . . . http://www.sharetrails.org/subscribe

·
Registered
277 Posts
As they say "many hands make a light load". Together we can continue to remind OUR elected officials they work for us.
I do understand the need for conservation however the pendulum has swung entirely to far, it needs to come back to center.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
As they say "many hands make a light load". Together we can continue to remind OUR elected officials they work for us.

I do understand the need for conservation however the pendulum has swung entirely to far, it needs to come back to center.
The win today was huge!

Conservation is great but the areas OUR Public Servants are locking up forever contain strategic "National Reserves" of natural gas, oil and many other resources critical to our independence from foreign entities thereby relegating us to purchasing these resources from the likes of China, Japan and other folks who already own a big chunk of our Country. Never mind OUR ability to use OUR Public Lands in the manner in which they were intended, that being "multiple use".

In 2005 the NFS estimated that there were 48-51 million OHV users. In the past five years since the NFS estimate I'd say OHV ownership and use has grown. There are approximately 300 Million people in the United States so given some real loose math, 1/6th of our entire population uses a motorized vehicle of one type or another when recreating, yet we let a vocal "Green" minority (granted they are well financed) dictate how and where we can use OUR Public Lands!

It doesn’t stop there either, “Wilderness” or “Monument” designations preclude any forms of “mechanized” use or gear, including wheel chairs that don’t meet “Hospital” specifications! I spent six months in a “Hospital Spec” wheel chair and can tell you that it would not take me anywhere that there was not pavement!

IMHO . . . we SXS users, as part of the larger OHV Community, need to get more involved in the fight for the OHV Community’s right to ride!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.