Honda Pioneer Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What do you guys do to minimize your face shield from fogging up in cold weather?

Hold your breath?
Breath down?
Open the shield at stops?
Open it partially all the time?
Use defogger stuff?

What works best? :idunno: :huh:

-Shrubby

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
All of the above work, but once you master the art of "overbite breathing" it becomes automatic and you rarely fog a shield again.... :nod:

Edit:
BTW...I hate the Fog City shield.... just my 2 cents...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How about adjusting your helmet so that it doesn't come down over your chin as much? Thereby making it easier for your breath to escape out the bottom.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I use the breath guard Arai sells for my helmet. It looks just like what you see the racers using when it's raining. Fabric material over a thin aluminum piece that molds to your face. Goes up high enough to cover your nose and keep all your breath away from the shield. $15 at my local Cycle Gear.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fog City shield is the best thing for cold weather or rain. Leave your shield cracked open or shit, they don't fog up. They have clear, amber, smoked or the new HyperOptiks, that darkens in the sunlight.

If you hate them you probably are intolerant to the fact that there is a second shield between you and the road. If you can get past that, the fact that you can actually see will sell you on it. I usually don't wear a shield with one unless I expect to need it (cold/rain etc.)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I use the Fog City shield with good results, too. The minor double vision at night is a drag, but that's my only complaint.

Anyone used any of the anti-fog liquids on their shield?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I tried the Fog City stuff. Can't make em fog up, but only after a couple times of cleaning it had scratches which were ok except after less than a month of use it was pretty bad.

Not sure if it was the double vision thing or the scratches but it was bad enough to make my eyes hurt.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
EatnAsphalt said:
I tried the Fog City stuff. Can't make em fog up, but only after a couple times of cleaning it had scratches which were ok except after less than a month of use it was pretty bad.
Not sure if it was the double vision thing or the scratches but it was bad enough to make my eyes hurt.
When you clean a FogCity, you have to basically soak the shield with cleaner, then wipe it clean. Anything less will scratch it for sure.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Last year I used a Fog City shield, this year I'm back to anti-fog spray stuff. It does work, but you've got to apply it to a clean (very clean) shield, wipe it down just the right amount and even then it only lasts about two days. I'm about out, so I'll need to pick some more up soon.

The Fog City shields work, but as was mentioned earlier, cleaning them is very critical. They will scratch if you so much as touch them. When the seal fails it's a real mess. Anyone else ever have their fog city shield fill up with water?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I crack the shield open. If I know it's going to get foggy, I'll dab some liquid soap on it, let dry. It still stays clear, and doesn't fog up.

·
Registered
45 Posts
SuperDave said:
I usually wait until the snow melts and wait for spring. :idunno: :D
:wstupid:

I generally hold my breath, or breathe very shallow for the couple seconds I'm stopped. That's if I don't feel like flipping my visor up, which I typically do.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I use the breath guard Arai sells for my helmet. It looks just like what you see the racers using when it's raining. Fabric material over a thin aluminum piece that molds to your face. Goes up high enough to cover your nose and keep all your breath away from the shield. $15 at my local Cycle Gear.
Most hateful thing I've ever known:mad:
Tried it for a couple of days and doesn't work properly unless set perfectly to the bridge of your nose, and promptly gets bent out of shape once you take your lid off. IMHO;)

Gone to Fog City clear and it's fab indeed:thumb: But after reading all this will be VERY careful cleaning it

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

I've had my Fog City for three years and it's not scratched at all. I clean it with Plexus and a soft t-shirt. :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have one shield with the Fog City thing on it, and one without. No problems here. Last time I was at the track, and it was raining, I didn't have it with me. My buddy told me to make a duct tape bridge and stick it over my nose before I put on the helmet. That worked great too. Looked funny, but it did work. The conditions were extremely humid, and I couldn't see a thing without doing that.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts