Honda Pioneer Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to buy a leather jacket but there aren't really any stores my way that have a huge selection to try it on.

I work out and sometimes to hard to buy something without trying it on.

I'm 6ft 230lbs with a 33' waist, I'm mostly all shoulders and back, don't have a very big chest, it's around 48 to 50 inches.

I really like the Icon Motorhead jacket, it says it's made bigger in the shoulders.

Thanks
Micro

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm 6'2" 240 36" waist 50" chest
a lot of the "race" leathers are made for the little crotch monkeys
I did like the fit of Icons stuff, very comfortable,
I went down in Icon & was happy w/ the protection, but it was a low velocity wreck
but I couldn't stand the look & you cant get a gauntlet glove over the sleeves.

Alpinestars is a very close second in comfort, but better in protection
I had a high velocity, 120mph, impact & very long slide
& the jacket & gloves held up fine, in-fact I am still using them
it would have been very ugly w/ out them, but I didn't have a scratch

the Icon I think would have had issues,
mainly because its really too loose, it would have bound up & moved around too much,
the leather is thick enough but the lack of good hard armor & "street comfort" looseness...

but if you try on the alpinestars & they just don't fit
& you don't want to do the custom made thing
I don't mind the styling of Icon...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have the same problem... I'm looking for a jacket.... So far I found that Icon seems to be the better fit. I need like a XXXL or a 50 or 52 jacket it all depends on the maker. I think I tried them all Alpinestar, joe rocket , Icon and what ever else I could find..... so far I'm leaning toward ICON. My problem areas are my forearms, arms and shoulders. I think I just might wait till the Bike show in NYC in december, they usuallly have all the vendors there and maybe I'll get lucky and find a Jacket.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have the same problem... I'm looking for a jacket.... So far I found that Icon seems to be the better fit. I need like a XXXL or a 50 or 52 jacket it all depends on the maker. I think I tried them all Alpinestar, joe rocket , Icon and what ever else I could find..... so far I'm leaning toward ICON. My problem areas are my forearms, arms and shoulders. I think I just might wait till the Bike show in NYC in december, they usuallly have all the vendors there and maybe I'll get lucky and find a Jacket.
Did you try on the jackets in any store, I'm in south jersey also and don't really know were to go to try on any jackets. I have the same problem with my forearms, shoulders and when I lean over the back gets really tight in the jacket. I tried on one of my friends Joe Rocket Nylon XXL just to tight under the armpits and back.

Thanks
Micro

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm 6'2" 240 36" waist 50" chest
a lot of the "race" leathers are made for the little crotch monkeys
I did like the fit of Icons stuff, very comfortable,
I went down in Icon & was happy w/ the protection, but it was a low velocity wreck
but I couldn't stand the look & you cant get a gauntlet glove over the sleeves.

Alpinestars is a very close second in comfort, but better in protection
I had a high velocity, 120mph, impact & very long slide
& the jacket & gloves held up fine, in-fact I am still using them
it would have been very ugly w/ out them, but I didn't have a scratch

the Icon I think would have had issues,
mainly because its really too loose, it would have bound up & moved around too much,
the leather is thick enough but the lack of good hard armor & "street comfort" looseness...

but if you try on the alpinestars & they just don't fit
& you don't want to do the custom made thing
I don't mind the styling of Icon...
What size is your alpinestars jacket and style is it.

Thanks
Micro

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You guys aren't the only ones! Try finding quality track leathers in women's sizes! I feel your pain. There's not many places around to try stuff on, I've looked. I ended up going with a custom Vanson suit. They're in Falls River, MA and if you go that route, it's worth the drive up there to have them do the measuring. They have a lot of their stuff in the store to try on, too, it's just a bit of a drive. Good thing to do once it's too cold to ride. Vanson usually has a booth at the NY motorcycle show (end of December at the Javits Center this year), so they'll have some stuff to try on there. A rep will be there, and he/she may be able to give you advice as well.

Also, most of the online retailers like kneedraggers and motoliberty can help size you and will allow you to exchange if the fit isn't right the first time. They carry Alpinestars and RS Taichi, respectively. Other brands as well.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
SMX Air-Flo Leather size 60, (USA 50) its as big as it gets
it fits pretty good until I put a back protector in
I just put it on to see what kind of room I have in my arms,
its tight but it has stretchy stuff:
Ergonomically placed stretch Kevlar® and leather flex zones for optimal comfort and fit.

the stretchy stuff is in the arms & the leather stretch panels is in the back
it works very well,

the Icon is cut big, but it doesn't stretch & would rise up on you if you fell

I meant to mention Vanson as well,
they are the easiest to customize & they will do anything you want design wise
good quality, I have a full set I use for long trips,

I tried on several others & did not like, especially dainese, bora which I really wanted to fit
cause it was a really nice jacket, but no way was it going to fit

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.