Honda Pioneer Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dont know much about video, but i'm going to buy a helmet cam and miniDV camcorder to take some on-bike footage. Does anyone know what i should be looking for in a helmet cam spec wise? I found this camera on a website, are these good spec--

Camera Specification:
High resolution Colour CCD Bullet Camera

Image Pick-up Device: 1/3" CCD video sensor
Don't be fooled by cheap CCTV cameras that are only 1/4" Video Sensor.
Horizontal Resolution: 420TV Lines
Picture element(pixeles): (H)752x(V)582
Minimum illumination: 0.5 LUX
Synchronizing system: lnternal
Video output: 1Vp-p 75 ohm composite
S/N Ratio(AGC off): More than 50 dB
Electronic iris(Auto): 1/50,1/60-1/100.000sec
Gamma correction: r 0.45
Gain control: Auto 4dB-30dB
White balance: Auto 2800k-8200k
MTBF: 80,000 hours
Power source: DC12V(Tolerence:±10%)
Operating current: 90mA w/regulated power in
Lens: 3.6mm
Reverse Polarity protection built in

it says 420 lines res should i go for a camera with more say 520 lines? Would there be a big difference in picture quality?

What about minDV camcorders, i know i need an AV IN and LANC but is there any other functions i should look out for?

Where is the best place to put a camcorder under seat or in backpack, or does it matter?

What about sound, is the built in mic sufficient or do i need an external mic?

I know a LANC is a remote control but what functions does it have- does it just turn the camcorder off/on or start rec/stop rec or both?

Thanks

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This one, it takes a licking and keeps on ticking... or something.

I think this was a backpack setup.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I saw some 520 and 580 line cameras for the same price I paid for my 420 line camera last year. If it's the same price and other specs, I'd go for as high res a camera as I can find.

LANC will allow you to remotely start recording.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have had a 480 and a 580 (both in NTSC which has a higher count than PAL) While the 580 gets much better video it is more due to it user the newer Sony chip (ExView Super HAD) The newer chip adjusts to light faster and has better color.

Also be aware that there is a v1.5 and v1.6 on LANC switches. The older Sony and Canon cams use v1.5 as you turn the switch to VCR mode and use the LANC for on/off record/stop. The newer Sony has a rocker switch, the first time starts the cam in video mode. You then rock the switch twice to set it into VCR mode. LANC v1.5 will control record/stop and even turn the cam off but will turn the cam on in the incorrect mode. LANC v1.6 starts the cam into VCR mode directly and allows the normal controls.

I use my mounted to my helmet with the cam in my backpack for street riding (skiing and snowmobiling also) However on the track I put the cam in the tail of the bike as I do not want any distraction (or loose wires)

DISCLAIMER: the affore statements pertain to US cams and may vary on European cams.

Hope this is some help.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I use something called a knucklehead cambox. I found it on ebay and it works great. I just use my digital camera to record my rides with the movie feature. Something to consider...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have had a 480 and a 580 (both in NTSC which has a higher count than PAL) While the 580 gets much better video it is more due to it user the newer Sony chip (ExView Super HAD) The newer chip adjusts to light faster and has better color.

Also be aware that there is a v1.5 and v1.6 on LANC switches. The older Sony and Canon cams use v1.5 as you turn the switch to VCR mode and use the LANC for on/off record/stop. The newer Sony has a rocker switch, the first time starts the cam in video mode. You then rock the switch twice to set it into VCR mode. LANC v1.5 will control record/stop and even turn the cam off but will turn the cam on in the incorrect mode. LANC v1.6 starts the cam into VCR mode directly and allows the normal controls.

I use my mounted to my helmet with the cam in my backpack for street riding (skiing and snowmobiling also) However on the track I put the cam in the tail of the bike as I do not want any distraction (or loose wires)

DISCLAIMER: the affore statements pertain to US cams and may vary on European cams.

Hope this is some help.
I am a bit confused by what you are saying with regard to NTSC vs. PAL. You say NTSC has a "higher count". By this you must be referring to frame rate, as PAL has a higher native resolution that NTSC. However the framerate of NTSC is +/-29.9 FPS as opposed to the 24 FPS of PAL. I would go for the resolution myself, though I have players on every set in the house that will play either format.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have an Adventure Cam 3 from Helmet Cam - Viosport - LANC Remote, Adventure Cam, which has 520 lines of resolution, and about the best video quality I've seen on any of them. They also have the best accessories I've found as well. The only downside is crappy audio, but that can be masked with music in the editing process.

If I were buying a new video camera to go with it, I'd definitely get one that was LANC capable for remote on/off - lots less wasted footage that way. The Canon Elura 90 I have is a great camera, but not LANC-enabled.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The one I posted does not need another device with it. It records directly to a card. I would love to have a full set up, but would hate to trash it in a get off.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts