Honda Pioneer Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i own an arai corsair tommygun and it is a perfectly fine helmet, but i have been reading up on the suomy spec 1r and it sounds like an awsome helmet. do any of you guys own suomy or know anyone who does... what do you think of them?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I love mine. gonna buy another one this week. very well ventilated, extremely light. it is very noisy though, nothing earplugs don't fix. I've tried on the RX7 Corsair and it fits the same and the liner is almost identical. only problem was its hard to get my glasses in, so thats why I'm going with another Suomy over the Arai.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My Arai RX7 is comfy, quite and lighter.. Got a new Suomy for this season. Fits well. But it's pretty loud compared to the Arai. But like CBR929RE said " nothing earplugs can't fix." The spec 1r has a weird chin strap snap that feels like it sticks out the bottom of the helmet. Maybe it's just mine. Other than that I'm pretty happy with it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
my first helmet before the Suomy was an HJC and the strap flapping in the wind hitting me in the throat bothered me all the time. the little snap button on the Suomy strap keeps the strap out of the wind so it doesn't hit you.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I own a Troy Bayliss Suomy helmet, light and comfy. The lock strap button is difficult to reach though and it is noisy compared to my AGV and KBC helmets. Otherwise it's a good buy :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You shouldn't buy a helmet because you like the brand or the model. You should only select it if it fits absolutely perfectly. Different helmet manufacturers have different 'head shapes' that they build their helmets to. Given that, not every helmet will fit every head, so you have to be really careful as to what you choose.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Suomy helmets are made by Arai helmets they have just bin made with slightly different design specs:eek:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Suomy helmets are made by Arai helmets they have just bin made with slightly different design specs:eek:

I don't know where you got that info but I'm pretty sure its wrong. Suomy's are made at the Suomy factory in Italy, Arai's are made at Arai in Japan. they're made about as far away from each other as can be.

They do fit the same and the interior liners are virtually identical. I'd give the nod in terms of liners to Suomy though. The Spec1R feels a little softer than the RX7 and the Extreme tops both.

I have a Spec1R and an Extreme. only done about 350 miles with the Extreme but most of that was on track. fits perfect for me and didn't even feel like it was there. no wind buffeting even at 150.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have a SPEC-1R Bayliss. I got it new from Ebay for about $300 almost 2 years ago. When I saw the Suomy on Ebay, I went to a local shop, and tried it on to see if it fits my head well. It did.
The most important criteria for me is the weight, and this helmet is one of the lightest. I do find it a bit loud at speeds, but I always wear my ear plug anyway, so it doesn't matter.
However, I had an Arai RX7-RR prior to this one, and I liked the venting and the cushioning on Arai a little better. But at less than half the price of a new Arai, I am totally happy with Suomy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.